Office: 4224 PTC Building
Program: PhD Track: Pharmaceutics Advisor: Raman Venkataramanan, PhD
Firuz Feturi, B. Pharm, PhD is a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy and a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Transplant Surgery, and Clinical Pharmacokinetic Laboratory. Dr. Feturi graduated from the University of Tripoli with a BS in Pharmacy (2006-2007), and then completed her PhD in Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences track under the tutelage of Dr. Raman Venkataramanan at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy (2019). While pursuing her PhD Dr. Feturi had the opportunity to work as a Teaching Assistant for the last 2 years. During my time at PiTT she also completed a 2-year of courses in Clinical and Translational Research at PiTT/CTSI. During her pre-doctoral and doctoral training in Pharmaceutical Science at University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Feturi had the opportunity to explore and conduct (bench, animal, and clinical) projects in diverse research areas. Overall goal of her research is optimizing drug therapy in organ transplant patients thorough understanding of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of these drugs. Dr. Feturi conduct basic and clinical pharmacology research studies in organ transplant patients. Dr. Feturi’s dissertation work focuses on VCA immunobiology and develop novel immune-therapeutic approaches to enhance therapeutic efficacy, and to reduce complications of systemic immunosuppression with site specific immunosuppression strategies. Dr. Feturi had an opportunity to undertake the full circle of a research from developing protocols, getting IACUC and IRB approval, patient recruitment, collecting and quantitating samples, performing PK analysis, and PBPK modeling. In addition, Dr. Feturi have worked on Phoenix WinNonlin, Nonlinear Mixed Effects Modelling (NONMEM), and SimCyp based PBPK modelling of different classes of medications. Dr. Feturi also worked in the Drug Marketing field as a Medical Representative and later as a Supervisor for prestigious Pharmaceutical companies e.g. Normon, Bosnalijik, Eipico, Alkan. Currently Dr. Feturi is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Dr. Venkat’s Laboratory focuses on developing a limited sampling strategy for predicting exposure and efficacy of mycophenolic acid in adult lung transplant recipients, evaluate the correlation of mycophenolic acidrelated IMPDH activity with clinical phenotypes in lung transplant recipients, and utilizing a Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Modeling to predict Tacrolimus exposure and Pharmacokinetics following Intravenous and oral administration. The United States Department of Defense (DoD) and the American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand (AFSH) have supported her research, leading to over 4 peer-reviewed publications. Firuz is a Fellow of the American Society of Transplantation (AST) and American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS). Dr. Feturi is committed to the advancement of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences both through research and teaching.
Clinical Pharmacology, optimizing drug therapy in organ transplant patients thorough understanding of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of these immunosuppressive drugs.
1. Zhang, Wensheng, Komatsu, Chiaki, Wu, Jiaqing, Feturi, Firuz, Walsh, Jeffrey, LI, Jingjing, He, Lin, Miller, Maxine, Mathers, Alicia, Thomson, Angus, Gorantla, Vijay, Washington, Kia, Solari, Mario. The impact of Topical Immunosuppressive Treatment on Functional Characterization of Skin Dendritic Cell Subpopulations in Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation. Transplantation: July 2018 - Volume 102 - Issue - p S199
2. Feturi, F.; Okzus, S.; Solari, M.; Venkataramanan, R.; Gorantla, V. The Therapeutic Efficacy of Local Delivery of a Combination of Tacrolimus and Mycophenolic Acid Along with Lower Doses of Systemic Immunotherapy in Prolongation of The Composite Tissue Allograft Survival With a Minimum Systemic Toxicity. Transplantation 2014 - Volume 98 - Issue - p 408.
3. Tarek Elgendy, Deokyeol Kim, Matthias Waldner, Firuz Feturi, Alan Zahorchak, Wensheng Zhang, Raman Venkataramanan, Mohamed Ezzelarab, Mario Solari, Angus Thomson. Regulatory dendritic cells (DCreg) therapy in Vascularized Composite Allograft. Transplantation. In process of Submission 2019.
4. Firuz Feturi, Matthias Weinstock, Rishi Jindal, Robert Sucher, Wenshen Zhan, Marilyn Cost, Lisa Rohan, Lydia Masako Ferreira, W.P. Andrew Lee, Stefan Schneeberger, Gerald Brandacher, Mario Solari, Vijay Gorantla, Raman Venkatamaranan. Mycophenolic Acid for Topical Immunosuppression: Optimizing Formulation and Preliminary Evaluation of Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetics. Front. Surg., 09 May 2018.
5. Firuz Feturi, Vasil Erbas, Liwei Dong, Zhaoxiang Zhang, Huseyin Sahin, Wensheng Zhang, Alexander Spiess, Mario Solari, Raman Venkatramanan, Vijay Gorantla. Topical Immunotherapy Synergizes with Systemic Immunotherapy to Prolong Survival of Vascularized Composite Allografts without Morbid Adverse Effects. American Journal of Transplantation. In process of Submission 2018.
6. Khalid Z. Masoodi, Kurtis Eisermann, Zhenyu Yang, Javid A. Dar, Laura E. Pascal, Minh Nguyen, Katherine O’Malley, Erica Parrinello, Firuz G. Feturi, Alex N. Kenefake, Joel B. Nelson, Paul A.
Johnston, Peter Wipf, Zhou Wang. A novel androgen receptor antagonist: Inhibition of androgen receptor function and level in castration- resistant prostate cancer cells by 2-((isoxazol-4-ylmethyl)thio)-1-(4-phenylpiperazin-1-yl)ethanone Endocrinology. 2017 Oct 1;158(10):3152-3161.
7. Unadkat JV, Schnider J, Feturi, F, Wakako, T, Bliley J, Venkataraman R, Solari M, Marra K, Gorantla VS, Spiess A. Single Implantable FK506 Disk Prevents Rejection in Vascularized Composite
Allotransplantation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2017. 139(2):403e–414e.
8. van der Merwe Y, Faust AE, Conner I, Gu X, Feturi F, Zhao W, Leonard B, Roy S, Gorantla VS, Venkataramanan R, Washington KM, Wagner WR, Steketee MB. An Elastomeric Polymer Matrix, PEUU-Tac, Delivers Bioactive Tacrolimus Transdurally to the CNS in Rat. EBioMedicine. 2017 Dec; 26: 47–59.
Kowser, M., Shaik, I., Feturi, F., Raman, Venkataramanan (2018). Clinical Pharmacokinetics.
2018 Basic Science Award, American Foundation of Surgery of Hand (AFSH)
2018 Travel award to attend American Society of Transplantation Fellow’s Symposium, September 28-30, 2018, Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center, Grapevine, Texas
2018 The Hardesty Award, Best Poster, First Place, 63th annual meeting of the Plastic Surgery Research Council (PSRC), May 17-20, 2018, Birmingham, Alabama.
2018 Best paper, First Place, Basic Science, Robert H. Ivy Pennsylvania Plastic Surgery Society 64th annual scientific meeting. April 2018. Hershey, PA
2018 Best Poster, First Place, Medical Device Category, McGowan Research Retreat, March 3-4, 2018, Pittsburgh/PA.
2017 Best Poster, First Place, Medical Device Category, McGowan Research Retreat, March 6-8, 2017, Pittsburgh/PA.
2017 Best Paper Award, 62th annual meeting of the Plastic Surgery Research Council (PSRC), North Carolina
2016 Student Honoree at 229th Anniversary of University of Pittsburgh’s founding. Pittsburgh/PA.
2015 Best Poster Award, First Place, 3th Annual Regional Pharmacy Research Forum WVU.
2015 Student Honoree at 228th Anniversary of University of Pittsburgh’s founding.
2014 Basic Science Award, American Foundation of Surgery of Hand (AFSH)
2014 Travel Award – TERMIS world Congress, Washington DC.
2014 Best Poster Award, “6th Annual Pittsburgh AAPS Student Chapters Research Symposium”. Pittsburgh. PA.
2011-2013 Secretory/Treasure Officer of American association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
2012 Scholarship from University's IRB Committee to attend the OHRP Research Community Forum
2008 Scholarship for graduate studies from the Libyan ministry of higher graduate studies
2008 Excellence in Teaching, University of Tripoli, School of Pharmacy. Tripoli. Libya.
2002 The National Horse-Riding Champion, First Place, Tripoli. Libya.
1. Feturi FG, Wang H, Brudno Y, et al. Ultrasound-mediated on-demand release from ionically cross-linked hydrogel New approach for targeted Immunotherapy in Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation. Abstract 23: Plastic and reconstructive surgery – global open KW 2017; 5:N2–SN.
2. Firuz Feturi, Nitin Joshi, Zhaoxiang Zhang, Vasil Erbas, Liwei Dong, Huseyin Sahin, Wensheng Zhang, Mubin Ali Aral, Praveen Vermula, Mario Solari, Jeffrey Karp, Vijay, Raman Venkatramanan, Gorantla. Enzyme Responsive-Release Graft Embedded Anti-Rejection Hydrogel for Targeted Immunomodulation in Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation. ATJ. Plastic and reconstructive surgery – global open KW 2017; 5: N2–SN.
3. Firuz G. Feturi, Vincent Chavanon, Jaimie Shores, Gerald Brandacher, Andrew Lee, Joseph Losee, Kia Washington, Mario G. Solari, Raman Venkataramanan, Vijay Gorantla, Alexander M. Spiess,. Abstract 51: Correlative Metrics of Adherence to Immunosuppression in Upper Extremity Transplant Recipients - Pittsburgh Experience. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Apr; 6(4 Suppl): 41.
4. Joshua M. Barnett, Bo Xiao, Firuz Feturi, Yolandi van der Merwe, Xinzhu Gu, Evan Katzel, Raman Venkataramanan, Mario Solari, William Wagner, Daniel Simons, Michael B. Steketee, Kia M. Washington. Abstract 132: Local Administration of FK506 with Impregnated Nerve Wraps Accelerates Nerve Regeneration. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Apr; 6(4 Suppl): 103-104.
5. Wensheng Zhang, Chiaki Komatsu, Jiaqing Wu, Firuz Feturi, Jeff Walsh, Jingjing Li, Lin He, Maxine Miller, Alicia Mathers, Angus Thomson, Vijay Gorantla, Kia Washington, Mario Solari. Characterization And Functional Analysis Of Skin Dendritic Cell Subpopulations In Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Apr; 6(4 Suppl): 30-31.
6. Wensheng Zhang, Chiaki Komatsu, Firuz Feturi, Lin He, Liwei Dong, Jiaqing Wu, Maxine Reedy Miller, Jeffrey Mark Walch, Alicia Mathers, Angus W. Thomson, Kia M. Washington, Vijay Gorantla & Mario Solari (2016) 2561: Dynamics and correlates of skin dendritic cells with distinctive immune response profiles in vascularized composite allografts, Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation, 3:1-2, 28, DOI: 10.1080/23723505.2016.1233011.
7. Firuz G. Feturi, Jignesh V. Unadkat, Damian Grybowsi, Yong Wong, Bing Li, Vasil Erbas, Lewei Dong, Zhaoxiang Zhang, Huseyin Sahin, Wensheng Zhang, Vijay Gorantla, Kia Washington, Mario Solari, Raman Venkataramanan, Alexander M. Spiess. Abstract 48. Single Locally Implanted Tacrolimus Disc prolongs Vascularized Composite Allograft Survival via Loco-regional Immunosuppression and without Systemic Side Effects. Plastic and reconstructive surgery – global open KW 2018.
8. Firuz G. Feturi, Jignesh V. Unadkat, Damian Grybowsi, Yong Wong, Bing Li, Vasil Erbas, Lewei Dong, Zhaoxiang Zhang, Huseyin Sahin, Wensheng Zhang, Vijay Gorantla, Kia Washington, Mario Solari, Raman Venkataramanan, Alexander M. Spiess. Abstract 22. Allograft Targeted Delivery of Tacrolimus prolongs Vascularized Composite Allograft Survival with Negligible Blood Levels. Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgeons 2018.
9. Tarek Elgendy, Deokyeol Kim, Matthias Waldner, Firuz Feturi, Alan Zahorchak, Wensheng Zhang, Raman Venkataramanan, Mohamed Ezzelarab, Mario Solari, Angus Thomson. Regulatory dendritic cells (DCreg) therapy in Vascularized Composite Allograft. American Society of Reconstructive Transplantation, Chicago, Nov 2018.