Biographies of the faculty of the school of pharmacy whose names appear on the roster since the institution was incorporated in 1878 consisted from time to time of teachers with the rank of professor, associate Professor, assistant professor, instructor, or lecturer.
Graduate student assistants, fellows, student assistants and laboratory assistants, as members of the teaching staff also contributed to the education of the student.
Among these teachers were many scholarly gentlemen of noble character. It is but fitting and proper that we pay tribute to those self sacrificing individuals who gave so liberally of their time and substance to lay the foundation of an institution so that it would become a credit to the community for which it was created to serve.
Biographical sketches of those who have served the school for ten years or more follow.
(NOTE: For biographies of Deans and Presidents of the School from 1878-1958, click here to go to Appendix I.)
Frederick T. Aschman was born in 1858 in Hudson City, New Jersey. At the age of seven he was taken to Europe, where he received his common school education. He returned to this country at the age of seventeen and entered School of Mines of Columbia College, but graduated from this Institution in 1881 from the course of General and Applied Chemistry with the degree of PH.B. He was engaged in chemical practices in various sections of Western Pennsylvania until 1893. In that year he was elected Professor of Inorganic Chemistry with full charge of the chemical laboratories of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy. About this time too, 1892, he was appointed State Chemist for the State of Pennsylvania. Not only did Dr. Aschman lecture in chemistry and have charge of the chemical laboratories, but he was also interested in the library and secured additional books for its shelves. In 1897 he received the degree of PHAR.D. from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy.
Although Dr. Aschman relinquished the teaching in the chemical laboratories in 1905, he still was Professor of Chemistry and lectured until June 5, 1923, when he resigned. However, although he became Emeritus Professor of Chemistry, he still gave the students at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy special lectures on Food Analysis until his death, December 10, 1925.
George Denton Beal was born at Scio, Ohio on August 12, 1887, the son of James Hartley Beal and Fannie Snyder Young Beal. Following the completion of his preliminary education, he entered Scio College of Pharmacy and received the degrees of PH.C., PH.B., and PHAR.D. He served as an assistant in chemistry from 1906-08.
He entered Columbia University and was granted the degrees of A.M. in 1910, and PH.D. in 1911. He, like his father, received the honorary degree of PHAR.M. from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science (1933) and the SC.D. from Mount Union College (1933). He later became a member of the Board of Trustees of these institutions. He was also awarded the SC.D. (Honorary) from Rutgers University in 1943.
From 1911 to 1926 Dr. Beal was connected with the University of Illinois in different capacities from Instructor to Assistant Professor of Chemistry to Associate and finally Professor of Analytical and Food Chemistry. In 1926 he became an Assistant Director of Mellon Institute of Industrial Research, then director of research of the same institution, and is now retired.
He is a member of many organizations included among which are American Association for the Advancement of Science (Fellow); American Public Health Association Fellow; American Pharmaceutical Association (President 1936-37; Councillor 1942-52; 54- ; Chairman of the Council 1945-52); Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association; American Chemical Society (Councillor-at-large, 1939-44); Pennsylvania State Chamber of Commerce. He has held many important positions in these organizations. He is also a member of the university club of Pittsburgh and of the following fraternities: Phi Lambda Upsilon, Honorary Chemical Society, Alpha Chi Sigma, Gamma Alpha, Sigma Xi, Psi Kappa Omega, and Rho Chi.
In 1920 he won the Ebert Prize and in 1941 was awarded the Remington Medal.
He was a delegate to the United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, 1930, 1940, 1950.
Member, Committee of Revision, United States Pharmacopeia, Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Decennial Revisions.
He is a trustee, U. S. Pharmacopeial Convention, 1955.
He served on the Committee on the Pharmaceutical Survey, American Council on Education.
He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the American Council of Pharmaceutical Education.
He became a member of the Corporation of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1930 and in 1932 he was elected a member of its Board of Trustees and served in this capacity until the merger with the University of Pittsburgh in 1948.
On July 3, 1912, Miss Edith Downs and Dr. Beal were married at Scio, Ohio. There are two children, George Denton Beal Jr. and Marjorie Downs Beal.
In 1946 he became Professorial Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
He is a contributor to the Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association and the Journals of the American Chemical Society.
James Hartley Beal was born in New Philadelphia, Ohio on September 23, 1861. Early in life he became interested in studying the trees and plants of his neighborhood for his father was interested in botany well as other natural sciences and in industry. Collecting drug plants became his hobby and selling them to pharmacists led to his being employed in a drugstore. He was employed in the pharmacy of George L. Tucker, Akron, Ohio and at the same time he took courses in Latin and Chemistry at Buchtel College (now University of Akron).
Dr. Beal later attended Scio College, Scio, Ohio from which he graduated with a B.S. degree in 1884. In 1886 he graduated from the Cincinnati College of Law with the LL.B. degree and was admitted to the bar in Ohio. He later returned to accept a teaching position at Scio College and received the A.B. degree from that institution in 1888. In 1894 he was awarded the degree of PH.G. from the Ohio Medical College. In 1887 he established the Scio College of Pharmacy where he served as dean until that institution was merged with The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy.
In 1902 Dr. Beal became Professor of Applied Pharmacy at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and in 1905 taught Theoretical Pharmacy and served as director of the Pharmaceutical Laboratories. These positions he held until 1911, when he resigned on becoming elected editor of the Journal and Secretary of the American Pharmaceutical Association. From 1914 to 1920 he served as Director of Pharmaceutical research at the University of Illinois.
Upon his resignation as Professor of Pharmacy, Dr. Beal was elected to the chair of Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence which position he held until 1935.
He was one of the founders of the Pittsburgh Dental School (now the University of Pittsburgh School of Dentistry) where he taught chemistry and metallurgy for many years.
Dr. Beal served as President of the American Pharmaceutical Association in 1904-05, the Ohio State Pharmaceutical Association 1908, the American Conference of Pharmaceutical Faculties (now the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy) 1907-08, and the National Drug Trade Conference 1918-20.
He was a trustee of the United States Pharmacopoeial Convention for many years and for thirty years served as chairman of the Board of Trustees.
Dr. Beal served as a member of the Ohio House of Representatives in 1901 and was author of the local option law which bears his name. His legal training enabled him to be a prominent factor in drafting the Federal Food and Drug Act and the Harrison Narcotic Act.
Under the National Pure Food and Drug Congress held in 1898 he served as chairman of the Committee on Uniformity of Methods of Analysis and Marketing of Food Products.
Dr. Beal wrote many articles on pharmacy in its various aspects thereby making a real contribution to pharmaceutical literature. He was also the author of several textbooks.
He was awarded the following honorary degrees: SC.D., Mt. Union College, 1895; PHAR.D., The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, 1902; PH.M. Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, 1913.
In recognition of his many services to pharmacy, Dr. Beal in 1919 became the first recipient of the Remington Medal.
On September 29, 1886, Dr. Beal was married to Fannie Snyder Young of Ulrichsville, Ohio. They had one son, Dr. George Denton Beal and one daughter Nannie Esther Beal Starkey.
Dr. James Hartley Beal died on September 20, 1945. He was the most outstanding figure in American Pharmacy, during his lifetime.
Joseph Bianculli was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 24, 1911. His early education was completed in the public schools and Westinghouse High School of Pittsburgh. In 1932 he graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a B.S. degree. He entered The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and he was graduated June 1935 with a B.S. in PHAR. While in pharmacy school, Dr. Bianculli was an assistant in the chemical laboratory.
Dr. Bianculli received his pharmaceutical experience in retail drug stores in the Pittsburgh area and is registered as a pharmacist in the state of Pennsylvania.
In the meantime he had entered the Graduate School of the University of Pittsburgh and received the PH.D. degree in 1941. While doing his graduate work Dr. Bianculli was a Graduate Student Assistant in the School of Pharmacy from 1936 until 1942. In 1942 Dr. Bianculli began as research chemist with the American Cyanamid Company and worked in this capacity until 1945 when he went with Dr. C. T. Van Meter to Reed and Carnrick as Research Chemist and Assistant Director of Chemical Research. He functioned in this office until 1948 when he returned to the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy as Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. In 1950 he was advanced to Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and in September 1955 he was made Head of the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
Dr. Bianculli was married to Nancy Vaccarelli in 1940 and has three sons, Thomas, Arthur, and Paul.
He is a member of the American Pharmaceutical Association and the American Chemical Society. He also holds membership in the following fraternities, Sigma Xi, Phi Lambda Upsilon, Rho Chi, and is an honorary member of Alpha Zeta Omega.
Effective February 1, 1958 he was made acting dean.
Hugo Blanck was born in 1838 in Germany. He studied architecture, chemistry and medicine at the Universities of Leipsic, Berlin, Bonn, and Marburg after which he decided upon chemistry as a life's pursuit.
He assisted his father, who was a government engineer in building the dykes along the Rhine.
When he first came to America he entered the services of a New York firm but later came to Pittsburgh, as a chemist for the Standard Oil Company and Spang Chalfant Company. He resigned his position with Spang Chalfant Company in 1881 to become associated with The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy to which he devoted much of his time. As an analytical and consulting chemist he had his office and laboratory at 81 Fourth Avenue, Pittsburgh during 1882-83, at 77 Fourth Avenue during 1886-1889, and 97 Fourth Avenue during 1890-1893.
Dr. Blanck belonged to the Press Club, the Engineers Society, and the Microscopical Societies of Pittsburgh in which he was regarded as a highly valued and esteemed member, because of his high scholastic attainments.
His last illness began in 1891 when he contracted a cold during the time improvements were being made on the Hostetter Building in which his office and the College of Pharmacy were located. He never fully regained his health and died March 20, 1893.
Dr. Blanck was Professor of Organic Chemistry at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy from 1880 until the time of his death.
Frederick John Blumenschein was the son of George and Sophie Blumenschein and was born in Pittsburgh on February 20, 1884. He completed his early education in the Pittsburgh Public Schools in Homewood. He received the PH.G. degree in 1902 and the PHAR.D. in 1904 from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy. On May 23, 1905 Dr. Blumenschein was elected to assist Dr. W. J. McAdams in Pharmacognosy and Bacteriology, a position he held until 1906 when he became the assistant to Dr. James H. Beal in Applied Pharmacy. Later he became assistant to Dr. Louis Saalbach also in Pharmacy. Dr. Blumenschein not only assisted in the laboratory but he also conducted quiz classes in pharmacy after June 4, 1907. On June 2, 1914 Dr. Blumenschein was made Associate Professor of Pharmacy and in 1923 he was elected to Professorship, a title which he held until his resignation June 1, 1926.
Dr. Blumenschein also taught in the University of Pittsburgh Dental School as an assistant to Dr. Albert F. Judd from 1904 to 1909.
On June 12, 1913 he married Elsie Gertrude Henning, the Secretary to the Dean of the College of Pharmacy. They had two children, Elsie Catherine who graduated from the College of Pharmacy in 1937 and who also married a pharmacist, Mr. Harry Bonchosky, and Gertrude who graduated from the College of Pharmacy in 1941 and then entered the University of Pittsburgh Medical School and was graduated from it in 1950.
When Dr. Blumenschein left school in 1926 he was then the owner of the West End Drug Store in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. His store has been moved several times but at present is located at 7 Pittsburgh Street, Uniontown and is known as Blumenschein's Pharmacy.
In 1936 Dr. Blumenschein became a member of the State Board of Pharmacy of Pennsylvania. He was Chairman of this group, a position which he held as long as he was a member, which was until 1942.
In 1937 Dr. Blumenschein received an honorary degree of PH.M. from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science.
Dr. Blumenschein was and still is a member of the local, state and national pharmaceutical associations.
From the time he began to teach at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy Dr. Blumenschein displayed a keen interest in the school and even after he went to Uniontown he retained his membership on its Board of Directors until its merger in 1948 an association which he had had since 1926.
Thomas Stephen Brown was born on November 23, 1855 at Hollidays Cove, Hancock County, West Virginia. After completing the work in the public schools, Mr. Brown spent one year at the Academy at New Hagerstown, Ohio, from which he entered the senior class of the Preparatory Department of Washington and Jefferson College in 1872. He graduated from this Institution in 1877 with the A.B. degree. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in West Virginia in 1879 and subsequently, in Allegheny County in 1881. He practiced law in Pittsburgh until his death.
Washington and Jefferson College conferred the degree of A.M. on Mr. Brown in 1900.
From 1895 until he resigned on April 26, 1910 because of the press of duties, Mr. Brown lectured to the students of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy on Pharmaceutical Law.
Edward Praegner Claus was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., June 16, 1908. He was educated in the Pittsburgh Public Schools and was graduated from the South Side High School in 1924.
Dr. Claus began his apprenticeship in 1925 with Henry Lohmeyer of the South Side and was registered as a pharmacist in 1929.
In the fall of 1924 he was admitted to the pre-medical course in the college and attended until 1926 and in the fall of the same year he was admitted to the College of Pharmacy, from which he graduated in 1929, receiving the PH.G. degree and in 1930 received the degree of B.S. in PHAR.
Dr. Claus continued to do work at the graduate level and subsequently received the M.S. degree in 1935 and the PH.D. in 1940 from the University of Pittsburgh.
During his senior year in 1928-29, Dr. Claus served as an undergraduate assistant in the Chemical Laboratory and following his graduation (1929) he was made Instructor in Chemical Laboratory.
Dr. Claus' interests were primarily in the biological sciences and in September 1930 he was appointed Instructor in Pharmacognosy and began his work at the graduate level in the field of Botany and Biology. He held this Position until 1942 when he was appointed Assistant Professor of Biology. In the summer of 1935, Dr. Claus served as a graduate assistant in Botany at the Lake Laboratory of the University of Pittsburgh which was located at Presque Isle near Erie, Pa.
In 1944 he obtained a leave of absence to accept an appointment as Associate Professor of Pharmacognosy and Pharmacology at the University of Puerto Rico College of Pharmacy.
In August 1945 he accepted the position of Assistant Professor of Botany and Pharmacognosy at the University of Illinois College of Pharmacy serving at the same time as Allergist for the Allergy Unit of the College of Medicine.
In September 1946 he returned to his Alma Mater as Professor of Pharmacognosy and in 1953 was made head of the department.
Dr. Claus is a member of the American Pharmaceutical Association and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. In these organizations he has served actively on many committees.
He is a Past Officer of the Plant Science Seminar and is Past President of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science.
Dr. Claus is also an affiliate member of the American Academy of Allergy, a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and a member of the American Association of University Professors, The Botanical Society of America, American Society of Plant Taxonomists, and the Pennsylvania Allergy Society. Dr. Claus is also an active member of the Rho Chi Honorary Society, Phi Sigma Honorary Society, Society of Sigma Xi, the Druids, Kappa Psi Graduate Chapter and Omicron Delta Kappa.
Dr. Claus has published many papers and is author of a Laboratory Manual for Pharmacognosy, C. V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, Mo.
Dr. Claus was a member of the committee and faculty of the Teachers Seminar on Pharmacognosy held in Salt Lake City, August 1954 under the auspices of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and sponsored by the American Foundation on Pharmaceutical Education.
On August 8, 1933 Dr. Claus married Margaret Barlow.
Effective February 1, 1957 he became dean of the Division of Pharmacy of the Ferris Institute, Big Rapids, Michigan.
Leasure Kline Darbaker, son of Harry David and Agnes Jane Kline Darbaker, was born January 13, 1879 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He received his early training in the public schools of McKeesport and Emlenton, Pennsylvania. Later he attended Grove City College, Ohio Northern University, and The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy. He received the PH.G. degree from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1906 and the PHAR.D. degree in 1909 from the same institution. In 1937 Ohio Northern University honored Dr. Darbaker with a SC.D. degree. He did post doctorate work in England and Germany in 1909.
His apprenticeship in pharmacy was begun under H. R. Gilmore of Emlenton, Pennsylvania in 1900.
Upon graduation from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, Dr. Darbaker was appointed in 1907 Assistant Instructor to Dr. William J. McAdams, who taught Materia Medica, Bacteriology, and Pharmacognosy. He replaced Dr. McAdams September 6, 1910 and became Professor in Pharmacognosy and Bacteriology. This position he held until retirement in July 1946 when he was made Emeritus Professor of Pharmacognosy and Bacteriology. He had taught for 39 years in the College of Pharmacy.
He was a member of the College Corporation from March 8, 1909 until it merged with the University.
Dr. Darbaker held membership in many social and scientific organizations among which are the following:
American Pharmaceutical Association, American Association for Advancement of Science, American Society of Bacteriologists, American Society of Plant Physiologists, American Public Health Association, Pennsylvania Academy of Science (President in 1937-1938), Plant Science Seminar (Chairman 1937), Phi Sigma, Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity (Grand Historian for many years), and the Botanical Society of Western Pennsylvania.
On August 9, 1915 Dr. Darbaker married Susan B. King of Emlenton, Pennsylvania.
Dr. Darbaker died February 6, 1949. Upon his death Dr. Darbaker, under the terms of his will, established the Darbaker Scholarships.
Dr. Darbaker wrote many articles relating to the fields of Pharmacognosy and Bacteriology. He was author of manuals on Microscopy, Pharmacognosy, Microbiology, and Biology.
Bernard Forbes Daubert was born May 1, 1905 in Martins Ferry, Ohio. He received his elementary school training in the public schools of Martins Ferry, Ohio. In 1922 he graduated from Martins Ferry High School with highest honors. He entered The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy the next year and in June 1925 he was graduated with second honor with the degree of Graduate in Pharmacy. In 1930 he attained the Bachelor of Science degree and later the PH.D. with a major in Chemistry from the Graduate School of the University of Pittsburgh.
While a student Dr. Daubert served as a student assistant in Bacteriology. Upon graduation he was appointed Instructor in Pharmacy and served in that capacity until 1933 when he was appointed Assistant Professor of Pharmacy.
December 21, 1942 Dr. Daubert asked for a year's leave of absence to work on a problem for the Buhl Foundation. At the end of the leave he transferred from the College of Pharmacy to the College of the University of Pittsburgh, Department of Chemistry, as a Senior Research Fellow in Biochemistry, the following year he became Assistant Professor of Chemistry. In 1945 he was made Associate Research Professor, in 1946, Research Professor, and in 1949 was made Professor and Research Administrator the position he held until June 30, 1951 at which time he resigned.
He was married to Dorothy Thelma Samuels June 8, 1925. They have two children, Margaret Helen and Sara Jean.
Albert Floyd Judd was the son of Frank A. and Alice Floyd Judd. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on December 3, 1871. A year later the family moved to Darlington, Pennsylvania. He attended the Darlington Public Schools and Greensburg Academy. In 1891, he began his apprenticeship in pharmacy, was graduated from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1895 with the degree of Graduate in Pharmacy. In 1904 he received the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy from the same institution. He engaged in the drug business in Homestead from 1895 to 1898.
From 1897 until 1903 be was an assistant in Materia Medica and Botany at the school. There he became Professor of Botany and Latin, which position he held until 1905 when he became Professor of Botany and Materia Medica. In 1933, he was made Professor of Analytical Chemistry and Director of the Chemical Laboratories in which he had served previously as an associate for more than 30 years.
Dr. Judd taught Chemistry in the School of Medicine and Chemistry and Metallurgy at the School of Dentistry. When the course in pharmacy was lengthened to three years, he relinquished his position with the Dental School because the number of his classes increased in the College of Pharmacy and be could not do both.
He was Chairman of the Athletic Council of the University of Pittsburgh for eighteen years. He married Alma Inez Johnson, now deceased, in 1895. He married Ruth Stevens Gardner in 1922. They had one child, Betty Mae.
He retired June 1938 at which time he was honored with the title of Emeritus Professor of Chemistry. The family moved to Florida. He was interested in the University of Florida at Coral Gables. On February 11, 1947, he died.
Adolph Koenig was born in Wiggiswyl, Canton Bern, Switzerland in 1855.
He received his early education in Laurel Point School, Fawn Township, Allegheny County and Tarentum Academy and his medical education in the Bellevue Hospital Medical School, New York.
Dr. Koenig was the editor of the first medical journal and served on the medical examining board of Pennsylvania for eighteen years.
He became Professor of Materia Medica and Botany at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1885, a position which he held until 1905 when he became the Professor of Physiology. He resigned from the faculty only because he had become Medical Examiner and felt that he could not do both. This resignation took place December 5, 1911.
The College honored Dr. Koenig by conferring on him the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy in 1897. Dr. Koenig devoted twenty-five years to teaching in the College of Pharmacy.
He was an inspiring teacher, an eminent botanist, and a good diagnostician.
Herman S. Kossler, the son of William and Mary Agatha Beck Kossler was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on November 13, 1882. He attended St. Martin's elementary parochial school, Holy Ghost College, now Duquesne University, and entered The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1901. He attended the latter school only one year and then dropped out to acquire some practical experience in pharmacy. In 1902 he returned to school andvwas graduated in 1903 with a PH.G. degree.
For two years he was Assistant to the Professor in Chemistry (1904-06) while at the same time he completed the work for the PHAR.D. degree which he received in 1906.
Dr. Kossler's first experience was gained in the employ of the George A. Kelly Company, then located at Wood and First Avenue (1896). Mr. Kossler worked here approximately three years and then went to work for Dr. Louis Emanuel on April 1, 1899 where he remained about two and one-half years. He then worked for the Plough Pharmacy, Smithfield Street from that time until he went into business for himself in Crafton in 1903. He moved his store to Main Street, West End Pittsburgh four years later and retained ownership in it until 1938.
Business did not keep Dr. Kossler fully occupied so in 1906 he became an Instructor in Pharmaceutical Arithmetic, a position which he held until 1931.
Dr. Kossler was not only interested in the teaching at school but was also concerned with the administration. He was a member of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy Corporation and its Board of Directors until the merger with the University of Pittsburgh in 1948.
In 1938 Dr. Kossler was elected Vice-President of the West End Bank and in January 1939 was made president, a position which he still holds.
Dr. Kossler married Estella Emma Epp and they have two children, Robert W. and Anna, Mary (Mrs. Moeller).
David E. Levin was born June 2, 1902 at Richmond, Virginia. He received his elementary training at the Jefferson Public School and later graduated from the John Marshall High School in Richmond, Virginia.
He matriculated at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute located at Blacksburg, Virginia in 1918. From 1919 to 1921 he continued his studies at the Carnegie Institute of Technology. In the fall of that year he transferred to the University of Pittsburgh from which he graduated in 1922 with the degree of B.S. in CHEM.
In 1922 he was appointed assistant in chemistry at the College of Pharmacy of the University of Pittsburgh and in 1923 was made Instructor.
In 1929 he was admitted to the Graduate School of the University of Pittsburgh and received the degree of PH.D. from that institution in 1932. In the same year he was made Assistant Professor of Analytical Chemistry which position he held until 1942 when he was granted a leave of absence of one year in order to increase the Production of Foille, a Product for the treatment of burns, for the Carbisulphoil Company in Dallas, Texas. This material was required for the Armed Forces and the Allies as well as industry. In 1943, Dr. Levin resigned from the faculty of the College of Pharmacy.
In 1946 he established the Allied Analytical and Research Laboratories in Dallas, Texas.
Dr. Levin married Eva M. Thal of Dayton, Ohio. They have one child, Lynda.
Dr. Levin was one of the founders of the Mu Chapter of the Alpha Zeta Omega Fraternity of the College of Pharmacy and he also served as the faculty advisor.
He is the author of several papers in the fields of manufacturing pharmacy and chemistry.
Richard Henry Mattern was born in Pittsburgh in January, 1908. His preliminary education was in the public schools of Pittsburgh and he graduated from South High School in June 1924 with highest honors. He entered The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in September 1925 and was graduated with a PH.G. degree in June 1928. In 1946 he received his B.S. degree from the same institution.
In June 1931 Mr. Mattern married Esther Fox and they have two sons, Richard, Jr. and Keith.
Mr. Mattern worked in retail pharmacy for many years but it was not until June 1945 that he was employed as a pharmacist at the Falk Clinic. In this capacity he also did a limited amount of teaching in manufacturing pharmacy to the senior students in The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy. Mr. Mattern became Chief Pharmacist at Falk Clinic in 1946 and served in that capacity until 1955.
William J. McAdams was born January 15, 1871 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His secondary education was gained in the Pittsburgh public schools. In 1896 he graduated from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy with the degree of Graduate in Pharmacy. In 1901 he received the degree of M.D. from the Medical Department of Western University of Pennsylvania. Upon graduation from the College of Pharmacy (1896) Dr. McAdams became Assistant to the Professor in Pharmacy, the following year he became Professor of Microscopy. On May 23, 1905 he was elected Professor of Microscopy and Pharmacognosy. It was also in this year, 1905, that Dr. McAdams was granted the degree of PHAR.D. Dr. McAdams was an eminent microscopist and an inspiring and enthusiastic teacher. Dr. McAdams died in August, 1910.
Frank Stuart McGinnis was the son of Garnet E. and Ida Stuart McGinnis of McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania. He was born July 21, 1905. He attended the Stowe Township elementary school and was graduated from McKees Rocks High School in 1923. He served his pharmacy apprenticeship in Millard's Pharmacy in McKees Rocks. Mr. McGinnis was graduated from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1925 with the degree of PH.G. and in 1930 with a B.S. in Pharmacy. In 1938 he received his LITT.M. degree from the University of Pittsburgh and in 1944 the PH.D.
Dr. McGinnis married Enid Chillcott in June 1921. There are two children, Enid Frances and Rena Ann.
Immediately following his graduation Dr. McGinnis became an assistant in Pharmacy; in 1926 he became an Instructor in Pharmacy and in 1933 he was made Assistant Professor of Pharmacy. In 1945 he was made Professor of Pharmacy.
From 1932 until 1946 he was the Chief Pharmacist at Falk Clinic.
Dr. McGinnis was a member of both the local and national American Pharmaceutical Associations, the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association, the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists, Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity, Phi Alpha Theta National honorary history fraternity, and the Corporation of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy of which he was secretary for many years.
He died September 30, 1947.
William Pettit was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on June 24, 1907. He was educated in the elementary and high schools of Pittsburgh. He holds both an A.B. and LL.B. degree from the University of Pittsburgh. He is an attorney. In 1936 he became a Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and he is still lecturing in this field at the School of Pharmacy. Mr. Pettit also lectured in Medical Law at the Medical School, University of Pittsburgh from 1938-1950. In 1949 Mr. Pettit published his own "Manual of Pharmaceutical Law." This text is used in many of the pharmacy schools in the United States. Except for a period from 1942-1945, when he was in the United States Army, Mr. Pettit has had continuous association with the School of Pharmacy. He belongs to Sigma Delta Chi and Omicron Delta Kappa and is a past president of the National College Press Association.
Frederick A. Rhodes was born April 22, 1873 in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. He attended New Castle High School, graduating in 1890 after which he attended Grove City College, Grove City, Pennsylvania. He next entered the School of Medicine of the Western University of Pennsylvania (now the University of Pittsburgh) graduating in 1900 with the degree of M.D.
Dr. Rhodes held the following positions on the faculty of the Medical School: Assistant to the Professor of Clinical Medicine 1902-03; Demonstrator in Physiology 1903-04; and Professor of Physiology from 1904 until 1909. For five years Dr. Rhodes had charge of the Reineman Maternity Hospital.
In 1912 Dr. Rhodes became Professor of Physiology at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy (The School of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh) which position he held at the college until 1923. During his connection with The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Julius A. Koch jointly conducted research on the pancreas at Woods Hole, Mass. in an effort to determine the cause of diabetes.
Louis Saalbach, son of August and Louise (Breuniger) Saalbach, was born in Pittsburgh on December 14, 1874. He was educated in the public schools of Pittsburgh and was graduated from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in1895 with the degree of PH.G. In 1908 he received the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy from the same institution. He began his apprenticeship in pharmacy under William G. Schirmer on April 16, I888 in the pharmacy of Simon Johnston at Third Avenue and Smithfield Street. In 1891, he went with Mr. Schirmer to the McKennan Pharmacy. On October 1, 1903, he and his brother Carl, bought a drug store at Fifth Avenue and Pride Street. This store was sold in 1919. Dr. Saalbach was consulting pharmacist of the McKennan Pharmacy until the time of his death.
In 1896 Dr. Saalbach was engaged by his Alma Mater to serve as assistant to the professor in Chemistry which position he held until 1906 when he was elected Professor of Pharmacy and Director of the Pharmaceutical Laboratories. Upon the resignation of Dr. James H. Beal in 1911, he became Professor of Applied Pharmacy. He held this position until he retired in June 1940 and was made Emeritus Professor of Pharmacy July 2 of that year.
Dr. Saalbach joined the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association in 1904 and was active many years serving as its President in 1912-13, secretary 1919-1926 and treasurer 1925-1926.
He also Participated in the activities of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
He was treasurer of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and Secretary of its Board of Directors.
In 1915, he married Beatrice Brooks Walton, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Lucius L. Walton of Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Dr. Saalbach was an expert pharmacist, revered by all who had the privilege to know him and study under him.
Dr. Saalbach died November 15, 1955.
Little is known of Dr. Stevens other than that he was a graduate in medicine from New York and that he had had pharmaceutical training in the Hegeman Pharmacy, New York City.
He was one of the founders of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy.
At an early meeting of the Board, Dr. Stevens brought up the question of whether ladies would be admitted as students. One of his colleagues made a motion at once to make females eligible as students.
When school opened he became the Professor of Theory and Practice of Pharmacy and retained this position until 1891.
Dr. George W. Kutscher who was a student of Dr. Stevens, tells us that Dr. Stevens was married and had one daughter whose name he does not remember.
Dr. Stevens was the father of the "Shadyside Gold Medal." It was an award the citizens of Shadyside furnished at an approximate cost of $75.00. The medal was made up of three gold pieces which were to represent the United States Dispensatory, The United States Pharmacopoeia, and The National Formulary.
In addition to his interest in the school, Dr. Stevens practiced medicine and operated his own drug store in Shadyside on Copeland Street. Records indicate that he practiced here until 1897, but it was not until Saturday, October 28, 1899 that he passed away.
Clarence Taylor Van Meter was born in Avalon, Pennsylvania on September 1, 1905. His preliminary education was obtained in the public schools of East Liverpool, Ohio. In 1924 he entered The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and was graduated in 1926 with a PH.G. degree.
His early experience in pharmacy was obtained under S. W. Carnahan, Newell, W. Va.
On July 6, 1926 he was elected Instructor in Chemistry at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy. In 1932 he received his B.S. degree and was advanced to Assistant Professor of Chemistry. In 1941 he received the PH.D. from the University of Pittsburgh. In 1943 he became Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Physics which position he held when he resigned in 1944 to join Reed and Carnrick in the capacity of director of pharmaceutical research. He became director of chemical and pharmaceutical research the following year and in 1947 was made director of research and control. For the past few years he has been at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Van Meter belongs to many scientific and professional societies among which are American Chemical Society, American Pharmaceutical Association, and Pennsylvania Association of Physics Teachers. He has contributed to the American Journal of Physics, Journal of American Chemical Society, American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and others.
He was a member of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy Corporation from April 14, 1942 until it merged with the University in 1948.
On December 22, 1930 he married Mary Overholt and has two children, Claire U. and Lois Jean.
Stephen Wilson was born in New Castle, England, August 4, 1904, the son of William 0. and Ellen Lewins Wilson. His parents located in New Castle, Pa. with their family. Dr. Wilson attended the public school in New Castle and graduated from the high school in 1923.
Dr. Wilson served his apprenticeship with Harry J. Lusk, New Castle, until 1926 and subsequently was associated with William F. Heidenreich of Pittsburgh, Pa. and McKinley and Frantz of New Castle.
Dr. Wilson graduated from The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy in 1925 with the degree of PH.G. and in 1927 the PH.C. degree and in 1930 the degree of B.S. in Pharmacy.
Dr. Wilson subsequently received the M.A. degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1932 and the PH.D. in 1940.
In 1927 he was appointed instructor in economics at The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and subsequently became Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Economics in 1932, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy in 1937, Professor of Pharmacy and head of the Department in 1945, and Vice-Dean in 1949. He served in these capacities until September 1953 when he resigned to become Dean of the School of Pharmacy, Wayne University, Detroit, Mich.
Dr. Wilson published many articles and was the author of Food and Drug Regulation, American Council of Public Affairs, Washington, D. C., and A Laboratory Manual for Operative Pharmacy, The Crescent Press, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Dr. Wilson is active in the affairs of many pharmaceutical and other associations, among which are included the American Pharmaceutical Association, The Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy in which he serves and has served on many committees. He is also a member of the American College of Apothecaries, Phi Delta Chi Fraternity, Rho Chi Society, and Omicron Delta Kappa Society.
On June 30, 1937 Dr. Wilson married Helengrace Leaf. They have one son, Stephen Leaf Wilson.
John Herman Wurdack was born September 10, 1888 in Pittsburgh, Pa. and received his elementary education there. From 1898 to 1900 he attended the Burgerschule of Gaarden, near Kiel, Germany. Upon the family's return to Pittsburgh he completed his high school education in Pittsburgh. Dr. Wurdack attended The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and received the degree of PH.G. in 1909 and the PHAR.D. in 1910. For one year after graduation Dr. Wurdack taught chemistry in the School of Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh. Then in 1911 he became the assistant in the Food and Drug Laboratory in The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy.
In 1910 he became an Instructor in Chemistry, in 1921 Assistant Professor of Chemistry, in 1923 Associate Professor of Chemistry, in 1925 Professor of Chemistry, and in 1935 Professor of Chemistry and Physics.
Dr. Wurdack assisted in the revision of the U.S.P. IX and the N.F. IV and VI and for a period of years he abstracted for the yearbooks of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
Dr. Wurdack authored many publications and articles, ranging from books on Latin and Chemistry, through articles on window display, and plant coloring principles.
In 1919, he married Mary Elizabeth McMahon of Oil City, a 1914 Pharmacy School graduate. They became the parents of four children: John Julius, Mary Elizabeth (Mrs. Darr), Paul Joseph and Rose Therese.
Dr. Wurdack taught at the School of Pharmacy until his death, December 8, 1954.
He was a member of the American Pharmaceutical Association, Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association, American Chemical Society, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He also held membership in the Phi Delta Chi Fraternity, Rho Chi Society, the University of Pittsburgh Senate, and also the Twenty Year Club of the University of Pittsburgh.
He was always interested in Alumni activities and for many years served as treasurer of the Pharmacy Unit.
To show the high esteem in which he was held by the students, the class of 1953 presented to the school for its Hall of Fame an oil painting of their beloved teacher.