As early as 1883 the need for an Alumni Association became apparent and Messrs. Schirmer, Emanuel and Cherry were appointed by the Board of Trustees to assist the Graduates in organizing such a group.
Evidence of the organization's existence in the form of membership certificates is still available.
From time to time the organization flourished, held receptions for the graduating class and were of assistance in arranging commencement programs, although, other than a copy of a program, there is no continuous recorded history.
In 1897 a General Alumni Association of the Western University of Pennsylvania was formed. It was a federation of the existing associations of the different schools, with delegates elected by each department of the University. They were all represented.
The associations early in 1907, instead of serving as what might be termed an Executive Committee for Departmental Associations, adopted a Constitution which provided for direct membership of the graduates of each school and close contact with them. Dr. Alexander Silverman was secretary from 1907 to 1913.
Another change was made in 1908 when the organization provided for an Executive Committee of three in addition to the four administrative officers. Dr. Albert F. Judd, Pharmacy '95, was a member of this first Executive Committee.
It was not until 1910 that a new Constitution and By-Laws was adopted. This provided for an Alumni Council of fifty. Pharmacy was represented on the first council by-W. B. Bell, 'o6; Dr. Frederick J. Blumensehein, '02; Dr. Albert F. Judd, '95; Dr. Herman S. Kossler, '03; Daniel C. Yellig, '92; Charles E. Willetts, '04; with Dr. J. Bert Holsopple, '04, Dr. Louis Saalbach, 95, and John G. Struble, '04, as delegates at large.
During this year (1910) the first general directory of the graduates of all departments was published. Dr. Albert F. Judd, '95, served as a member of the special committee appointed for this purpose.
The organization of Student Branches of The American Pharmaceutical Association was begun through the efforts of Dr. Charles W. Johnson, President of the A.Ph.A, in the years 1928 and 1929. It was in 1928 that Dr. Johnson, while addressing the delegates of the A.Ph.A. convention, stated that he had lost hope of ever materially adding to the membership of the A.Ph.A. by inducing more retail pharmacists then in practice to join. He further stated that it was his belief that the only way to ultimately build a large membership was to educate the students then in college into the belief that the association was necessary to their welfare. He appealed to the faculties of the Pharmacy Colleges to lead the students into a feeling of need for this professional contact, and he said that he was confident that if the college faculties would do their duties the greater number of all students in school would join at the regular five dollar fee.
President Johnson was succeeded by President Jones, but his suggestion had initiated some action, at least at the University of Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, for, in the fall of 1928, Professor C. Leonard O'Connell, later Dean of the College, brought before the student body the idea that there be a branch of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the University of Pittsburgh. A vote was taken and the suggestion was carried through unanimously. At that time there were no provisions for such an organization of students. Therefore, the students were required to become full members of the A.Ph.A and to pay full dues. Only two meetings were held that first year.
At the National Convention held at Rapid City, South Dakota, in the spring of 1929, the following report from the Journal of A.Ph.A., for 1928 described the formation of the student branch at Pitt. The report brought approval from the other delegates, but there was still no provision made for the formation of a student branch as such.
Professor C. Leonard O'Connell of the faculty of the College of Pharmacy of the University of Pittsburgh, was recognized on the floor. He reported the formation of a Student's branch in The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, responsive to the expressed desirability, by former President C. W. Johnson, of forming such branches in schools and colleges of Pharmacy. The branch included a membership of 337 students. Prof. O'Connell explained the purpose of the branch and assured the association of the interest and support of the members of this branch and of the members of the faculty. The latter believed in using the agency of the schools for instilling the value of the association. He said there was no compulsion, nor was any money collected at the time of the formation of the branch. As a committee to assist the preliminaries three members of the student body and a like number of the faculty and a spokes-man were selected to carry on the work. The student members came to the office to pay their dues. Professor O'Connell presented a check for them, amounting to $ 1685.00, and then introduced a student member, Joseph J. Dulak. The latter said that the student branches of the A.Ph.A represented a milestone, and he felt that these organizations would be productive of great good for the association and for the individual members. Prof. O'Connell exhibited a parchment with the signatures of the applicants, which was to be framed and placed in the student's room of the Headquarters Building; the former students visiting ten or fifteen years later, he said, would be proud of the step taken in 1929. President Jones thanked the presenters and congratulated them on their success.
On September 28, 1929, the following letter-now in the files at the College of Pharmacy of the University of Pittsburgh-was received from Dr. E. F. Kelly, then secretary of the American Pharmaceutical Association:
I am pleased to officially advise that during its recent annual meeting the A.Ph.A adopted the following resolution: No. 7 commending efforts of the College of Pharmacy of the University of Pittsburgh:
The committee commends the splendid results obtained at the College of Pharmacy of the University of Pittsburgh in securing members to the American Pharmaceutical Association from the student body. We consider this a wonderful achievement and as it indicates the great value of student interest, therefore,
Be it RESOLVED, that the A.Ph.A commends this activity to the Colleges of Pharmacy of this country to the end that the students may become affiliated with this association at the outset of their pharmaceutical career.
Assuring you of our appreciation of your cooperation, I am,
Very Truly Yours,
E. F. Kelly, Secretary.
1930 and 1931 saw the Pittsburgh Student Branch sending student delegates to the national A.Ph.A conventions. Meetings at the school became fewer and fewer until the start of World War II, when the branch was practically dissolved. During this time the meetings were on a compulsory basis, irregular, and were not held to conduct student branch business, but to assemble students to meet visiting dignitaries.
It was not until 1945 that the branch was revived and reorganized, this time through the efforts of Dr. Stephen Wilson. It was at a meeting called at the College of Pharmacy on September 17, 1945, that Dr. Wilson approached the student body and read a letter from Dr. Robert P. Fischelis, secretary of the A.Ph.A The letter stated "that the A.Ph.A had been informed that the student interest in a branch was being revived and plans for reorganization should be undertaken." Dr. Wilson then presented Professor Frank S. McGinnis, who addressed the student body, telling of the history and accomplishments of the A.Ph.A and of the importance of the association to Pharmacy as a whole.
A reorganization committee began work on reviving Pitt's student branch. A constitutional committee drew up a new constitution, which was acceptable to the students and to the A.Ph.A.
The first election of officers of the reorganized branch was held on November 9, 1945. It was with this election that the branch again became the functioning organization that it had been sixteen years before.
The branch took the lead in the sponsoring of student affairs. No problem of student or pre-professional life was too large or too small for the branch to undertake. The branch took the lead in arranging a scheduled activities hour through the cooperation of the Administration of the College of Pharmacy. This hour was arranged for A.Ph.A activities, class meetings, fraternity and sorority meetings, and meetings of the entire student body for formal school functions.
The branch was responsible for the formation of the PITT CAPSULE, which became the official organ of the student body and alumni of the University of Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and ranks high among such publications.
The College of Pharmacy of the University of Pittsburgh, like many other pharmacy schools throughout the nation, was not unique in being physically separated from the University proper and in having to create its own student activities. The American Pharmaceutical Association Branch recognized the need for such activities and arranged affairs, not professional in nature, but affecting student life. These activities took the form of student parties, dances, picnics, and the establishment of what has become a tradition at the Pharmacy College's Recognition Day. This day has come to be the time when outstanding students at the College of Pharmacy are recognized for their contributions to the academic, professional, and social life of the school. The Branch also joins other student branches in sponsoring a mock A.Ph.A Convention.
From the early days of the old Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, and the early formation of the Pittsburgh Branch of the A.Ph.A, students have been welcome at local branch activities. With the reviving of the present branch, even more emphasis has been placed on effective relations between students of pharmacy and practicing pharmacists. A blanket invitation has always been extended from each activity to the other for attendance and participation. Both branches sponsor lecture series and professional seminars. Both branches call on members from each group to participate in each other's programs.
- William L. Blockstein, 1953
The course in Pharmacy Orientation is designed to introduce freshmen students in the School of Pharmacy to the various fields encompassed by the profession of pharmacy. Since many of the beginning students have had only limited experience in retail pharmacy, it was felt that they should know of the ramifications of their chosen profession into the wholesale, manufacturing, hospital, and research branches, as well as into the five major divisions of the pharmacy curriculum: pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacognosy, pharmacy administration, and pharmacy proper.
To speak about these five major divisions, members of the teaching staff of the School are asked to present their particular subjects. In the past three years since the course became a part of the curriculum, Dr. F. J. Blumenschein and Mr. W. F. Heidenreich have spoken on Retail Pharmacy, Dr. George D. Beal has discussed Research in Pharmacy and Drug Standards, Mr. Richard Mattern has presented Hospital Pharmacy, Mr. Robert R. Gaw has emphasized Prescription Pharmacy, Mr. Edward C. Ifft has stressed the Regulations of the State Board of Pharmacy, Mr. Robert Wallace of the Eli Lilly and Company and Mr. Joseph Kiernan of Abbott Laboratories have considered Manufacturing Pharmacy.
To properly acclimate the students to the University, the Orientation course endeavored to teach them "How to Study" as presented by Vice-Dean Stephen Wilson and also to explain to them the "Quality Point System" as stressed by Dean Edward C. Reif. Finally, the course allots a limited number of periods for class meetings and election of officers and also for visits by upper classmen who represent the Student Branch of the A.Ph.A, and fraternities.
- Edward P. Claus, 1953
Since the School of Pharmacy has become an integral part of the University, participation in intra-mural athletics has developed into a reality. The teams have achieved a high degree of success in their respective fields of sport. One of the basketball teams in the professional league is composed entirely of members from the class of 1953 and is known as the Pharmacy Mixers. These young men chose this name in their sophomore year during which they competed in the semi-finals. In 1952 the team was presented with uniforms, in the traditional Pitt colors of blue and gold, by the Student Branch of the A.Ph.A The Pharmacy Mixers entered into the elimination playoffs at the end of the season and were defeated by one point in their final game. During the present season the team once again is engaged in intra-mural competition in the Professional League where they meet teams of the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, and also other teams from the School of Pharmacy. The latter teams are composed of freshmen and sophomore students.
Touch (tag) football, baseball, bowling, and other sports have received support from the pharmacy students.
Intra-mural athletics serve a definite purpose in the physical development of the male pharmacy students. Competition in a professional league enables the team members to meet fellow students in the other professional schools on the campus.
Prior to 1948 the School of Pharmacy was recognized for some individual outstanding athletes: Ross Ferraro, '29, in varsity basketball; Robert R. Gaw, '14, in varsity baseball; and Robert Walkingshaw, '43, in varsity golf. However, the more recent vigorous schedule has been discouraging to those interested in varsity football and basketball.
A number of students who are musically inclined have become members of the celebrated Pitt Varsity Marching Band and also of the Concert Band. Various individuals have at times been associated with the Pitt Glee Club, Mixed Chorus, and the Pitt Players.
Early in 1947 a group of students of the College of Pharmacy pioneered in establishing a student news publication which was called the Pitt Capsule. From a mimeographed series of papers, the Pitt Capsule has gradually advanced through a stage of printed pages only to its present form encompassing pictures and cartoons in addition to the printed work. The first editor was David Westover who established certain editorial principles which have been followed by his successors. In the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education for January, 1948, Editor R. A. Lyman complimented the Pitt Capsule on its form and content. In recent months there have appeared a series of articles featuring the members of the Pennsylvania State Board of Pharmacy and also another series depicting outstanding individuals who represent the various fields of pharmacy.
- Edward P. Claus, 1953
The Alpha Zeta Omega Pharmaceutical Fraternity was founded in Philadelphia in 1921, at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science. In 1923 a chapter was formed at the University of Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy with Dr. David Levin as first Faculty Advisor.
The ideals of A.Z.O., which are friendship and brotherly love, took hold and the first group consisting of forty-six (46) men became the Mu chapter. They took a pledge to support the highest ideals of pharmacy and their school, and to aid each other.
The first Directorum was Sidney Klein. Among some of the others in this first group of 46 men were Harry Ostrow, George Stone, I. Earl Reich, Bernard Cohen, Leo Schor, Morris Secher, Nathan Darling, and Sam Mervis. Other men joined the fraternity and by 1950 there were 165 members. Many have left Pittsburgh and are practicing pharmacy from Florida to New York and in the west to California. Some have gone into Dentistry, Medicine, and Chemistry. A few have gone into entirely different businesses.
The first member to pass away was Bernard Cohen. A Student Loan Fund was started in 1932 in his memory.
The Fraternity is quite proud of its members. Thanks to the careful screening by the Dean of the School and its membership committee, most of the applicants are good students and make fine pharmacists.
Elder Stein and Harry Ostrow have been President of the Alumni Association of the School of Pharmacy. William Whitman is President of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association. Elder Stein and Harry Ostrow are past Supreme Directorums of the fraternity. Other men from Pittsburgh who have held National office are: Sam Berger, Jack Reich, William Blockstein, James Darling, Oscar Roth, and Norman Ilkuvitz.
National Conventions have been held in Pittsburgh in 1932, 1942, and 1953.
An Alumni chapter was formed first in 1932 and reorganized in 1951.
Most of the members of A.Z.O. are active members in the Pharmacy unit of the General Alumni Association and help to aid their school. In the last drive for funds for the new Health Profession's building, many of the hard workers were A.Z.O. men.
The Mu chapter gives an annual Sophomore award which consists of the latest edition of the United States Dispensatory.
The Women's Auxiliary of A.Z.O. gives a $25.00 yearly award to a deserving sophomore.
Dr. Joseph Bianculli is the present Faculty advisor to the Mu chapter.
Honorary members are the late Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell, Dr, Edward C. Reif, Dr, Stephen Wilson, Dr. Joseph Bianculli, and Dr. David Levin.
- William Blockstein, 1953
The early history of the Alpha Zeta Omega Auxiliary of Pittsburgh has been outstanding, not so much for its epochal events, but rather for its harmonious spirit, and for the formation of a permanent and promising foundation.
Originally organized as a social gathering for the sole purpose of fostering congeniality among the wives of A.Z.O. men, the first meeting was called in February 1939, with one temporary officer serving as Secretary-Treasurer, and each succeeding hostess acting as temporary chairman of the meeting.
Following the Fraternity's 1939 convention in New York, the Women's group was reorganized on a permanent basis, under its present name, with the sanction of the men's chapter.
With a feasible constitution drafted, rapid strides in advancement were made, Such innovations as joint meetings of the Auxiliary and the Men's Long Range Committee were held to discuss fraternal problems. The appointment of a women's telephone committee, for their assistance in meetings and social functions, showed results by a large increase in both the Fraternity and Auxiliary membership.
In the eighteen years of its existence, the Women's Auxiliary has matured into a strong and emanating organization, both locally and nationally. One of its most gratifying projects, at present, is the Cultural Fund, from which a yearly award is given to a deserving sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. Token contributions are given to various charities, gifts are sent to A.Z.O. boys in service, and a contribution was recently made to the School of the Health Professions Building Fund.
All of this, and more, has been accomplished without losing sight of the original purpose of the Auxiliary's innovation; that of promoting friendliness among the wives and men, and a continued active interest and enthusiasm in the ideals and purposes of A.Z.O., the most needed qualities of the Pharmaceutical Profession.
- Mrs. George Stone, 1953
The Galen Pharmaceutical Society was organized through the efforts of Samuel Silverman, Charles Weinberger, and Lew Davis. These men had met members of the Parent Organization of Galen at a Pennsylvania State Pharmaceutical Association meeting and were stimulated with the idea of a Society in Pittsburgh. On November 10, 1937, Mr. Silverman called a preliminary meeting. The following individuals are charter members: Harry Berger, David Bus is, Samuel Caplan, Sam Chaban, Al Cohen, Jacob Cohen, Lew Davis, Nathan Florman, Meyer Foster, Ned Friedman, Hyland Gefsky, A. H. Glinn, I. Goldstein, Ben Goodstein, Lew Gordon, Isadore Gorenstein, Bennie Harris, Samuel Hepps, Fred Hurwitz, D. Lebovitz, Dave Lawrence, Sam Lebovitz, Abe Litman, Fred Schiller, Frank Silverberg, Hyman Silvennan, Samuel Silverman, Charles Weinberger, Abe Whitman, and William Whitman.
The Pittsburgh Chapter of the Galen Pharmaceutical Society was formally organized and the following officers were elected, November 17, 1937: Fred Schiller, President; Samuel Silverman, First Vice-President; David Busis, Second Vice-President; Charles Weinberger, Treasurer; Lew Davis, Secretary.
The aims and purposes of Galen are to uphold the ideals and ethics of our profession; to create good will among all pharmacists; to assist the indigent; to cooperate with local, state, and national Pharmaceutical organizations; to promote the advancement of cultural and scientific achievements; and to exemplify to others the ethical standards of the pharmacist in his business and professional activities.
The Pittsburgh Chapter was installed by a group from Philadelphia on February 28, 1938. The society's publication, The Galenite, came into being on the occasion of their first dinner-dance which was held December II, 1938.
- David Busis, 1953
November 14, 1938, through the courtesy of the Galen Pharmaceutical Society, wives of members were invited to a luncheon at the Villa D'Este. Fifty-six attended. After lunch, the first official meeting of the Women of Galen elected officers and set into motion the auxiliary of the Galen Society under the capable leadership of its first President, Mrs. Hyman Silverman.
The purpose of the Women of Galen is to promote social, cultural, and philanthropic ideals. They have given generous contributions annually to the United War Fund, Heart House, Old Newsboys' Fund, March of Dimes, Infantile Paralysis Fund, Red Cross, Jewish Home for Babies, Salvation Army, Care, United Jewish Fund, and several other charities.
December 7, 1941 the global war engulfed us. Women of Galen became part of the great home front, assuming new duties to facilitate the war effort. They made garments for children in war-torn countries and knitted for boys in the service. Many took first aid courses, some participated in the sale of war bonds and war stamps, others helped the Galen Society with their year book, The Galenite, by arranging a children's page, for which a substantial amount was collected. Boxes of goodies were sent to sons and husbands in the service.
During the postwar period greater emphasis was placed on education and social meetings. Educational meetings throughout the years were informative and stimulating. Such outstanding specialists as Dr. Yale Kosoff, neurologist, spoke on "Chemistry of Personality"; Dr, Morgan, Fellow at Mellon Institute, presented a survey on consumer education; Miss Ruth Roth, Staff Nutritionist, of the Pennsylvania Health Department, discussed the importance of good nutrition in family diet, Many excellent reviews on current books were greatly enjoyed.
On May 25, 1939 an oil painting of Dean Emeritus, Julius A. Koch, was presented to the College. Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell acted as toastmaster, and there were quite a few notables present at the dinner, among whom were Mayor Cornelius D. Scully, Dr. Carl A. Voss, Pastor of the Evangelical Protestant Church, Dr. Solomon B. Freehof, Rabbi Rodef Shalom Temple, Father Paul Rock, Catholic Chaplain of the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. John G. Bowman, Chancellor of the University, and David I. Eisman of Philadelphia and founder of Galen.
The present officers of Galen (1952-1953) are: Samuel I. Caplan, President; Jacob Bernstein, First Vice-President; Bernard J. Schiller, Second Vice-President; Maurice H. Finkelpearl, Secretary; Milton Landy, Corresponding Secretary; Sidney Stern, Treasurer, and Ben Goodstein, Chairman of the Board of Directors.
On January 14, 1947, this group presented to the Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy the Perry Frank Bowser Memorial Plaque. Galen also makes an annual award of $50.00 to a deserving student of the sophomore class.
It is also the practice of this group to select each year the outstanding member of Galen for his achievements in Pharmacy, in Civic Groups, and for his accomplishments either culturally or philanthropically. This man is to be known as the "Galen Man of the Year." In 1951 the first man named was David Busis; in 1952, Hyland L. Gefsky was named; and Fred Schiller was the 1953 Galen Man of the Year.
The visit through Mellon Institute was most enlightening and interesting.
Social functions such as dances, card parties, luncheons, box socials, corn roasts, Halloween parties and New Year Affairs helped members to become better acquainted. The annual children's party and picnic brought joy to the youngsters as well as to their parents.
New activities indicate progress. Never before in our history has the enthusiasm of our entire membership manifested itself more wholeheartedly than in our newly-created scholarship fund. Mrs. Samuel Silverman, our President, has continued the scholarship fund which was started last year. An equal amount was designated for the Pharmacy School at the University of Pittsburgh, to be distributed to needy students in the junior or senior year, at the discretion of Dean Edward C. Reif and his staff, and likewise at the Pharmacy School at Duquesne University, the fund is to be utilized at the discretion of Dean Hugh Muldoon and his staff, The letters of thanks from the recipients of the fund made us fully realize the importance of this service to the oommunity. Our projects are now more meaningful because we know that the proceeds are so efficiently utilized.
We hope that the record of the Women of Galen for the past fourteen years may serve as a fitting prologue for many worthy accomplishments in the future.
We are grateful for this opportunity to extend greetings and felicitations to Dean Edward C. Reif and his staff, on this, the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary of the Pharmacy School of the University of Pittsburgh. We have observed with satisfaction how you expanded the curriculum to meet present day needs. Best wishes for good health, and many years of continued progress for the Pharmacy School of the University of Pittsburgh.
- Mrs. Abe Litman, 1953
On March 26, 1913, a charter was granted for the establishment of Beta Kappa Chapter of Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity at the College of Pharmacy. This chapter, one of forty-five active collegiate chapters, was an outgrowth of a purely local organization known as Beta Phi Sigma which had existed at the College of Pharmacy for some fifteen years. The members of Beta Phi Sigma who desired to affiliate with Kapper Psi were made charter members of Beta Kappa Chapter. Among the forty-seven names appearing on the charter are those of Frederick J. Blumenschein, Robert R. Gaw, George O. Yohe, George L. McMillin, and other persons who have achieved prominence in pharmaceutical circles.
Since 1913 Beta Kappa chapter has progressed through the years, attaining a membership total of over 60 in 1929. At present 30 members compose the chapter roster. The fraternity house which served as headquarters during the late '20'S and early '30'S could not be supported financially due to the decrease in membership in the '30'S. Since then the business meetings have been conducted in the school building, the initiations at various rented lodges, and the social functions at hotels and country clubs.
The Alvin J. Vavro Memorial Award was established in 1949 in memory of the late Alvin J. Vavro, who graduated in 1948. This cash award is presented each year to the sophomore student (member or non-member) who exhibits leadership and a devotion to the ideals of pharmacy.
Kappa Psi has endeavored to achieve success in the social life as well as the professional life of its members, Each year a formal dinner dance honors the graduating members. To complete its activities in a philanthropic vein, just prior to the 1952 holiday season, the chapter initiated a drive to collect canned goods for a charitable cause. Cans of foodstuffs were given to the Hope Mission on the Northside of Pittsburgh.
Further plans are being activated for a scholarship award and for furthering professional relations with other pharmaceutical as well as dental and medical fraternities through the Professional School Inter-Fraternity Council.
- Edward P. Claus, 1953
The Pittsburgh Graduate Chapter of Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternitywas organized on June 19, 1935 at the Hotel Schenley in Pittsburgh, Pa. Thirteen charter members were present: Edward P. Claus, Leasure K. Darbaker, William J. Hill, H. Ellsworth Krumpe, Russell D. Miller, Ernest A. Reeves, Chauncey E. Rickard, Charles H. Schaefer, William F. Siegel, Frank J. Steele, Robert W. Taylor, John M. Wyble, and George F. Young.
The chief aims of the chapter were to unite alumni of the School of Pharmacy who had been members of the undergraduate Beta Kappa Chapter of the fraternity, to offer the opportunity of fraternalism to those who had not been members of the undergraduate chapter during their school years, and to further the spirit of fraternalism and professionalism among its members. The following officers were elected for a two-year period:
|Regent||Chauncey E. Rickard|
|Vice-Regent||William J. Hill|
|Secretary||Ernest A. Reeves|
|Treasurer||H. Ellsworth Krumpe|
|Chaplain||John M. Wyble|
|Historian||Frank J. Steele|
|Chairman, By-Laws||Committee Charles H. Schaefer|
Since 1935 the chapter membership has grown to its present large membership. Cordial relationship has been established with the Beta Kappa Chapter and in recent years the two chapters have held their annual spring formal dance jointly. In addition to the regular monthly business and program meetings,an annual Stag Picnic is held in June to which graduating members of Beta Kappa Chapter are invited as guests.
- Chauncey E. Rickard, 1953
The girls in The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, now University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, are fortunate for they have a professional sorority to which they may belong or they may elect to join one of the social sororities on the University campus.
The Delta chapter (undergraduate) of Lambda Kappa Sigma was founded when fifteen students pledged themselves to be faithful members. Dean Koch acted as chairman for this meeting which was held April 18, 1918 at the College. The following individuals constituted the charter members:
|Esther R. Parsons||Stella C. Bejenkowski|
|Pauline Polinchuk||Courtnaye B. White|
|Edna M. Jacobson||Ethel M. Swan|
|Alice K. Heimlich||Margaret J. Fogerty|
|Goldie E. Snyder||Elizabeth W. Hurst|
Grace Porch, President; Belle Perkins Smith, Vice-President; Virginia Frank, Secretary; Thelma Webber, Treasurer.
The objects of the Sorority are to promote the happiness and usefulness of its members and to create a center of enjoyment, friendship, and culture.
Members are now selected on a basis of character, scholarship, and personality.
- Margaret P. Sherwood, 1953
It was not until 1949 that Delta Graduate Chapter was organized. Mrs. Louise Stein called a preliminary meeting on July 12, 1949 to ascertain what interest there would be in a graduate chapter. Twenty-three girls indicated their desire to become members of such a group at a meeting held at the Cathedral of Learning on September 14, 1949. At this same meeting tentative By-Laws and a Constitution were drawn up. Officers were elected as follows: Louise Stein, President; Frances Hull, Vice-President; Willa Beedle, Secretary; Dorothy DeFoggi, Treasurer; and Dorothy Monyak, Social Chairman. Application for a charter was made immediately and on October 23, 1949, Joan Shankel, President of the active chapter, installed the chapter at a formal ceremony. The charter members are as follows:
Louise Stein, Frances Hull, Willa Beedle, Dorothy Monyak, Dorothy DeFoggi, Mary Agnello, Bertha Vignovich, Josephine Certo, Natalie Certo, Autumn Colby, Eileen Estep, Clara Mehr Gelfand, Sally Kroffe, Agnes Wajert, Theresa Wajert, and Eleanor Nygre.
For four years this group held an annual Christmas Party, entertained the active chapter each year, attended as many of the regional meetings as possible, and in 1952, five girls from this group went to the convention in Hollywood where they received honorary mention for their efficiency in sending in reports and monies due Grand Council. Delta Graduate Chapter meets monthly.
- Sally Kroffe, 1953
Mu Chapter was founded at Scio College, Scio, Ohio, February 26, 1907.
In November, 1906, an organization of Pharmacy students known as the "Pharmacy Club" of the Scio College of Pharmacy, met in the Hotel Marshall at Scio, Ohio, under the direction of James S. Gleghorn, and petitioned for a chapter of Phi Chi Fraternity. The petition was granted, and on February 26, 1907, it was installed by W. E. Claypool and Arthur S. Metzger, of Beta Chapter. The last meeting of the chapter was held at Scio on the 19th of March, 1908, after which the chapter was transferred to Pittsburgh, Pa., the first meeting being held there September 23, 1908. This became necessary, as the Pharmacy College of Scio at that time merged with Western University of Pennsylvania College of Pharmacy.
Prof. H. D. Starkey, James H. Gleghorn, W. B. Altland, B. H. Martin, C. E. McCormick, T. R. Ashbaugh, R. C. Burris, J. A. Farrel, Leon Tuholske, P. I. McCowan, R. S. Smith, G. C. Hall, F. E. Hanlin, A. W. Tetrick, F. J. Murphy, J. S. Rutledge, O. R. Moore, I. P. Smith, J. C. Ringer, A. E. Day, W. B. Frum, E. A. Schnell, C. E. Richards, J. H. Lease, I. I. Johnson, R. A. Belt, T. L. Morgan, W. E. Luthy, and J. R. Clark.
James H. Beal, SC.D., W. S. Bryson, M.D., S. B. McCormick, Harry B. Marsh, George D. Beal, C. P. Godfrey (charter of Alpha), Azor Thurston (charter of Alpha), W. E. Claypool (Beta), Arthur S. Metzger (Beta).
Mu Chapter was reactivated on February 19, 1952. The ceremonies were held at Webster Hall Hotel. The undergraduate students who reactivated Mu Chapter were Robert L. Kinnon, Frederick H. Woods, Jr., Gordon W. Knight, Harold Weber, Fred T. Galysh, Philip Hurray, Harold L. George, Raymond E. Dessy, Alfonso Marcotuli, Clair LaVern McCord, Edward J. Freeauf, Jr., William R. Heskett, and John Daniel Huber. Elmer Grimm, Jr., was a graduate member in the reactivation group.
The officers of the chapter after reactivation were:
President, Robert Kinnon; Vice-President, Philip Hurray; Secretary, Gordon W. Knight; Treasurer, Raymond Dessy; Master-at-Arms, Fred Woods; Inner Guard, Alfonso Marcotuli, and Prelate, Harold George.
The Alpha Omicron Chapter of Rho Chi Honorary Pharmaceutical Society was installed at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy on Tuesday, November 21, 1950, following a candle light dinner held at the Faculty Club of the University on the seventeenth floor of the Cathedral of Learning in the Civic Center of Pittsburgh. Dr, George D. Beal, Assistant Director of the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research, who was the installing officer, was assisted by Dr, Edward P, Claus, Professor of Pharmacognosy at the University of Pittsburgh. Dr, Beal and Dr, Claus are members of Phi Chapter of Rho Chi at the University of Illinois College of Pharmacy, Dr. Beal being an honorary member of that chapter.
Thirty-four active and alumni members representing faculty members, graduate assistants, graduates of the class of 1950, and undergraduates of the class of 1951 were initiated. Although 42 persons had signed the petition which requested granting of the charter, illness and inclement weather prohibited the remaining 8 members from attending. These persons will be given their keys and certificates at the next regular initiation ceremony.
The thirty-four new members of Rho Chi are:
|Faculty and Graduate Assistants||Alumni and Students|
|William E. Brackman||William L. Blockstein|
|Edward C. Reif||Peter J. Bercia|
|Stephen Wilson||Frederick V. Crall|
|John H. Wurdack||Bernard Danenberg|
|Joseph A. Bianculli||Allen I. Dines|
|Robert W. Sager||Irving Friedman|
|Jeanne S. Cappelli||William H. Gerdes, Jr.|
|August G. Danti||Stanton L. Jonas|
|Richard M. Doughty||Albert W. Kossler|
|Rose Goldfield||Stephen A. Kulik|
|Betty Levy||Lois J. LeGoullon|
|Dorothy Monyak||Eugene W. Leseman, Jr.|
|James G. Newcomb||Mary Lou S. O'Connell|
|Sylvan M. Sax||Eli N. Rebich|
|Paul J. Wurdack||Allan J. Rudner|
|Shirley D. Sussman|
|Samuel Wallwork, Jr.|
Dr. Beal, in addition to officially installing the chapter, was the principal speaker. His subject, The Significance of Honor Societies, compared the qualities of scholarship and fellowship of members of Rho Chi with the qualities of drugs of the United States Pharmacopoeia and indicated that only the best representatives were selected in each case. Following the presentation of keys and certificates by Dr. Claus, these persons spoke briefly in response: Dean Edward C. Reif on behalf of the faculty; Allan J. Rudner on behalf of the students; William L. Blockstein on behalf of the alumni. Dr. Claus then read a letter from Dr. R. H. Fitzgerald, Chancellor of the University, expressing his regret at being unable to attend. However, Lester Brailey, Assistant to the Dean of Men, speaking for the University, stated that Alpha Omicron Chapter of Rho Chi was a welcome addition to the campus since it is the thirteenth representative of the American College Honor Societies. All of the guests of pharmaceutical organizations who were invited were in attendance and were introduced. They were:
Dean Hugh C. Muldoon, Duquesne University School of Pharmacy
Robert R. Gaw, Member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Pittsburgh and an alumnus of the School of Pharmacy
John H. Phillips, President of the University Unit of the General Alumni Association of the University of Pittsburgh
Chauncey E. Rickard, Secretary of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association
Edward C. Ifft, Member of the Pennsylvania State Board of Pharmacy
George Hagerty, President of the Allegheny Retail Drug Association
Abraham Litman, President of the Pittsburgh Branch of the American Pharmaceutical Association
Walter Montague, President of the Rho Chi Chapter at the Duquesne University School of Pharmacy
Miss Shirley D. Sussman, acting secretary, then read congratulatory telegrams and letters from a number of Rho Chi Chapters throughout the country.
After the initiation ceremony a business meeting was held at which officers were elected. Dr. John H. Wurdack, a member of the faculty, was chosen unanimously as President; Allan J. Rudner, Vice-President; Miss Shirley D. Sussman, Secretary-Treasurer; and Miss Lois J. LeGoullon, Historian. Following a discussion of the Constitution and By-Laws it was decided that the President would appoint a committee to draw up the chapter By-Laws and to present their recommendations at the next business meeting scheduled for early in 1951. It was decided also to have the present officers serve until the spring of 1951 following the next initiation dinner.
Alpha Omicron is happy to become the newest chapter of Rho Chi, and its members hope that by following the standards of scholarship and leadership established by their predecessors they will be able to contribute to the further growth of the society.
At the National Rho Chi convention in 1951 at Buffalo, N. Y., Dr. Julius A. Koch, who had been proposed by Alpha Omicron Chapter, was elected a national honorary member. Robert R. Gaw became an alumni member at the chapter initiation in 1951.
During the 1952-1953 season, Rho Chi has instituted several activities designed for the entire student body of the School of Pharmacy; a series of motion picture films on various educational subjects and a series of dinner lecture meetings.
- Edward P. Claus, 1953