Dean Koch reported "that he attended a meeting of the State Board of Pharmacy and of the Pennsylvania Schools and Colleges of Pharmacy held at York and that the conference had agreed upon establishing a four-year course, and the state board demanding graduation from a four-year course by all applicants who enter schools beginning in the fall of 1932.
After a thorough discussion of the institution of the four-year course, at a meeting of the Board of Directors held June 4, 1929, it was decided that The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy inaugurate a four-year course beginning in the fall of 1930. This announcement appeared in the annual bulletin of 1929.
A student's branch of the American Pharmaceutical Association was established in 1929. The branch is directed by the student body and the students are afforded the opportunity to obtain information and experience regarding the problems that confront all those concerned with the development and operation of associations, particularly for the pharmacist. One goal of the student's branch was, and bas been, to send a representative to the national meetings of the American Pharmaceutical Association. This group was not chartered as an official student branch of the American Pharmaceutical Association until May 1946, when through the efforts of Dean Edward C. Reif and Dr. Stephen Wilson, Dr. Robert P. Fischelis presented a charter to the branch.
February 26, 1931, a dinner was held at Webster Hall by graduates representing the classes from 1895 to 1930. They discussed the advisability and feasibility of forming a Pharmacy Alumni Association. The meeting resulted in the organization of such an association, with Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell (1912) general chairman, Edward Waldschmidt (1902) vice chairman, Stephen Wilson (1925) secretary, and Robert R. Gaw (1912) treasurer. A vigorous campaign to solicit members followed this meeting. A second meeting of class chairmen was held at Webster Hall on April 16, 193 1, for the purpose of organizing a pharmacy unit of the general alumni association. A Pharmacy Unit was organized and has been in active operation since.
Dr. O'Connell reported that one of the outstanding speakers on professional pharmacy, Professor Anton Hogstadt, addressed the student body on "The Method of Conducting a Professional Pharmacy." During his stay in Pittsburgh a "Pharmacy Week" display was exhibited in the Jenkins Arcade. This was a cooperative venture of Merck and Co. and the College of Pharmacy, under the direction of Professor Hogstadt.
After many conferences between the officials of the Falk Clinic and Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell, it was decided that The College of Pharmacy would assume the operation of the pharmacy. Subsequently on December 1, 1931, The College of Pharmacy formally took over the management of the Pharmacy of the Clinic. A member of the staff functioned as chief pharmacist until June 30, 1955. Through this arrangement later followed by Central Pharmacy, the students have the opportunity of observing a hospital pharmacy.
Prior to 1923, the curriculum required that a definite number of clock hours of instruction be given in the form of lectures, recitations, and laboratory exercises for each course given, the number of hours varying with each course, and beginning with the 1923 session all courses were recorded in terms of credits. With the innovation of the four-year course in 1930, leading to the B. S. in Pharmacy degree, Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell recommended to Dean Julius A. Koch that all courses be recorded in credits on a semester basis, giving in detail didactic and laboratory hours of instruction. This method was put into operation in 1931 and is still in use at the present time.
Starting with the 1930 session, courses in English and German were integrated into the pharmacy course and in 1934 college mathematics was added. These courses were taught by teachers from the College of Liberal Arts.
Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell announced that he was "invited to give the Founder's Day address at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy on February 23, 1932." He subsequently reported that he gave this address and that the honorary degree of Master of Pharmacy (PH. M) was conferred upon him.
At a faculty meeting held March 3, 1932, Drs. O'Connell, Reif and Darbaker were appointed a committee to investigate the possibilities of having living drug plants displayed in the windows of drug stores in the Pittsburgh district during Pharmacy Week to be held October 9-15. This projected plan was realized with the cooperation of many pharmacists.
By action of the Board of Directors, Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell was made associate dean on July 1, 1930, and was elected to the deanship on June 7, 1932. At this meeting, Dean Julius A. Koch was made Dean Emeritus.
Following the change in curricular structure, the tuition was raised to $300.00 a year in 1936.
The early years in the 1930's, following the depression, were difficult ones, characterized by a marked drop in the student body. However, beginning with the 1936 session, there was a decided increase in the number of entering students.
In the spring of 1937 Dean O'Connell inaugurated a series of pharmacy conferences which were held yearly through 1942, when they were discontinued because of World War II. Such programs were featured by the presentation of subject materials, pertinent to pharmacy, with each speaker eminently qualified to speak with authority upon the subjects assigned.
The first conference was held on May 12, 1937. The morning session was held at the College and the afternoon session at Falk Clinic. Following these two sessions the group attended a dinner at Webster Hall, after which an evening session was held in the new Mellon Institute. Following the evening lecture an opportunity was afforded the group to view the scientific exhibitions of the institute. Dean O'Connell presided at the morning and afternoon meetings and Dr. Beal at the evening session. The program was as follows:
Research Methods in Pharmacology — James C. Munch, PH.D.
Prescription Clinic — J. Leon Lascoff, PHAR.D.
The Pharmacist's Role in Diabetes — J. West Mitchell, M.D.
A Legislative Program for Pharmacy — Evert F. Kelly, PHAR.D.
Glass and the Modern World — Alexander Silverman, SC.D.
The Founding Fathers — John W. Oliver, PH.D.
Since Dr. Kelly was not able to attend, Dr. George D. Beal spoke in his place.
A second conference was held on May 16, 1938 at the College, Falk Clinic, Webster Hall and Mellon Institute. The program for this conference follows:
Our Profession — Jerry McQuade, Editor, Drug Topics
Vitamins — Charles Glen King, PH.D.
Therapeutics and the Physician's Prescription — Waiter A. Bastedo, M.D.
Professional Pharmacy — Robert L. Swain, SC.D.
The third conference was held May 25, 1939, at which Ralph D. Clark, PH. D., spoke at the afternoon session on "Building Your Prescription Department."
At the meeting of the Board of Directors, held February 27, 1939, Dean O'Connell announced that he had received a letter from the Galen Pharmaceutical Society of Pittsburgh with a request that a committee would like to appear before our board "to discuss the painting of Dr. Koch and its presentation to the School" and that he had acknowledged receipt of the letter and had set the time for a meeting. The committee appeared before the board and after considerable discussion they requested that a committee of not less than five be appointed to co-operate with their committee to make suitable arrangements for a dinner, the time and place to be decided after consultation with Dr. Koch. A portrait of Dr. Koch was painted and was presented to the College on the occasion of a testimonial banquet held the evening of May 25, 1939. The portrait, by Samuel Rosenberg, now hangs in the office of the School of Pharmacy.
The fourth conference was held May 1, 1940, with this program:
Our Recipe Book — J. Leon Lascoff, SC.D.
Notable Developments in a Pharmacopoeial Program — E. Fullerton Cook, P.D., PH.M., M.SC.
In the evening a testimonial dinner was given in honor of Dr. Louis Saalbach by the graduating class of 1940. This was given on the occasion of the retirement of Dr. Saalbach as Professor of Pharmacy after serving the institution in this capacity since 1906. In July 1940 he was made Emeritus Professor of Pharmacy.
The fifth conference was held on June 10, 1941. Dean O'Connell reported that the program for the fifth conference was under consideration and on June 9, he outlined the program to be held the next day. A meeting was held at the College in the afternoon and was followed by a reunion banquet the same evening at the Hotel Roosevelt, to which the members of the graduating class were invited as guests.
The sixth conference was held on May 21, 1942, at the College. Dr. Herbert E. Longenecker and Miss Irene McDermott spoke on "The Role of Nutrition in Civilian Defense" and Dr. Edward C. Reif discussed "War Gases and Civilian Defense." The banquet that year was held the same evening at Webster Hall.
In 1937 Dr. George D. Beal reported to the Board of Directors that he had been approached in reference to bringing the annual American Pharmaceutical Association Convention to Pittsburgh, and he moved "that Dean O'Connell contact the Committee 'Time and Place' and extend to them an invitation that the American Pharmaceutical Association consider Pittsburgh as a place of meeting." However, Pittsburgh was not chosen as the Convention City.
Dean O'Connell announced the plans for a homecoming night, which was suggested by the officers of the pharmacy group of the General Alumni Association. This was held on Tuesday, December 14, 1937. At the next meeting of the Board of Directors, held January 4, 1938, Dean O'Connell reported that "The meeting was a success and that approximately two hundred persons attended."
An announcement from Secretary Evert F. Kelly, of the American Pharmaceutical Association, stated that "George Wilson has passed Government examination and is now stationed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He is a Second Lieutenant in the Medical Administrative Corps." Lt. Wilson (1926), decided to make the Army a career and is now (1958) Lieutenant Colonel Wilson.
In 1938, Mu Chapter of the Alpha Zeta Omega fraternity established a loan fund in memory of Bernard L. Cohen, Phar. '29. This fund is known as the "Bernard L. Cohen Memorial Fund" and is designed to assist worthy students.
Dean O'Connell announced the appointments of Dr. Julius A. Koch, Dr. Louis Saalbach, and himself as delegates to the 1940 Pharmacopoeial Convention, with Drs. Edward C. Reif, John H. Wurdack, and Leasure K. Darbaker as alternates.
A second homecoming night was held on November 30, 1939. An interesting program was presented which was attended by alumni and friends.
On April 8, 1940, a meeting of the Alumni was held at Falk Clinic, at which a number of interesting films were shown.
In 1941, the school participated in a Public Health display at the Buhl Planetarium, with the students of the Senior Class acting as guides.
The bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and the subsequent declaration of a state of war by President Franklin D. Roosevelt brought many changes in all walks of life. The educational pattern at The College of Pharmacy was thus naturally confronted with many problems and challenges. The University of Pittsburgh developed a Civilian Defense program. Under this plan each University building was under the supervision of a building warden. Dr. Edward C. Reif was in charge of The College of Pharmacy. A first aid demonstration was held January 15, 1942, under the auspices of the Pharmacy School with Dr. Reif in charge. At this meeting First Aid classes were organized and on June 8, 1942, Dr. Reif gave a report to members of the Corporation on the First Aid courses given at the College. He indicated that forty-seven alumni completed the Standard First Aid course and that an advanced course would be offered to the alumni who have completed the Standard Course. The Standard Course was also given to Sophomore, Junior, and Senior students and certain of these were recommended to the American Red Cross for the Advanced and Instructor's courses.
Because of the war, on June 8, 1942, the Sophomore, Junior, and Senior classes went on an accelerated program. This program was inaugurated so that the students could graduate earlier and thus become registered to supply pharmacists for the armed forces as soon as possible. The accelerated program was discontinued after the completion of the summer session of 1945. Even with the operation of an accelerated program the majority of the students were called into the armed services.
Due to the extreme shortage of anti-malarial drugs needed by the armed forces, Dr. Stephen Wilson was appointed chairman of the Committee on a Quinine Pool in the Tri-State district. Dr. Wilson, with the assistance of the other members of the committee, consisting of Harry Watkins (1943), Leonard Edelson (1943), Lowman Gandet (1944), Robert Black (1944), Ralph McCue (1945), Andrew Guskea (1945), Evelyn Hartstein (1945), and Robert L. Stevens (1945), conducted a "quinine drive" in the Tri-State area, covering the territory from Youngstown, Ohio, to Altoona, Pennsylvania. All avail-able quinine and quinine salts, as well as other cinchona alkaloids, were collected at, or delivered to, the College of Pharmacy. The entire supply was then sent to the American Pharmaceutical Association headquarters in Washington, D. C., from which it was distributed to the armed forces serving in the malaria-infected areas.
The Alumni Association of the University of Pittsburgh dedicated a service flag to all students, faculty, and alumni of the University serving in the armed forces. The dedication services were held in the Commons Room of the Cathedral of Learning on May 2, 1943, and a service flag was also dedicated on September 19, 1943, at Heinz Chapel in honor of the students and alumni of The College of Pharmacy who had entered various branches of the military service of the United States. The flag was donated by the class of 1943. At the dedicatory exercise the flag was presented by Clara Adi Mehr (1943), and Pfc. Winfield Smith (1943), and received on behalf of the College by Dean C. Leonard O'Connell.
Every alumnus or student who went into the armed services and whose address was known was sent news letters by the College to give him or her encouragement and support and to keep him informed of the activities of his alma mater. Each letter had a message, the names and addresses of those in service and bits of news about classmates and friends. A typical message was the one sent November 11, 1944, which was a Christmas number. It read: "Wherever you are, may the Spirit of Christmas and the New Year Season be with you. Though the outward symbols be absent this year, the inner glow must be in your hearts; also, the satisfaction that when this job is done you will return to your homes with a mind enriched by experience that cannot come in the ordinary course of peacetime activities. This message was signed by Chancellor John G. Bowman and by all members of the faculty of our school. News letters were mailed periodically until the end of the war.
Due to the extreme shortage of trained personnel in industry and a depleted student body, Dr. Clarence T. Van Meter accepted a position as Director of Research and Dr. David E. Levin a position in Industrial Research. Dr. Bernard F. Daubert also requested a leave of absence to work on a research problem for the BuhI Foundation.
In February 1943, The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy admitted its first mid-year freshman class as part of the accelerated program.
At a meeting of the Board of Directors, Acting Dean Edward C. Reif reported that "We had entered a freshman class at the beginning of the spring semester in accordance with the unanimous decision reached at a conference of the deans of the four Pennsylvania schools of pharmacy and the Pennsylvania State Board of Pharmacy, together with representatives of the Department of Public Instruction at Harrisburg in accordance with the accelerated program of the University purely as a war measure. This action is in accord with recommendation contained in Paragraph II of a circular issued by the Department of Public Instruction of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania under date of December 23, 1942, signed by Francis B. Haas, Superintendent."
A renewed interest on the part of the alumni was evidenced by the fact that Mr. Abraham R. Canter, in May 1942 established a $25 yearly prize to be awarded to the student who acheives the highest standing in the department of pharmacy throughout the four year course. Mr. Canter’s idea was to create a keener competition among the students in the science and art of pharmacy.
Because of a depleted student body, due to the war, it was deemed necessary acquaint well-qualified individuals with the opportunities in pharmacy. "Your Future in Pharmacy" and "Opportunities for High School Graduates" were, therefore, mailed to all graduating students in the tri-state area. Personal letters were also sent to high-school principals to point out the opportunities in the field of pharmacy. As a result of this effort, an unusual number of women applied and many qualified for acceptance. This condition prevailed until October 1944 when we began to get as students, veterans of the war and also those who had been drafted and desired to complete their interrupted education.
At a pharmacy alumni homecoming held February 24, 1944, the feature of the evening was the presentation by Mr. Leo Karolewski, on behalf of the September class of 1943, of two $100 War Bonds to start a pharmacy alumni loan fund.
The Dean reported to the Board of Directors that the American Foundation of Pharmaceutical Education had established two scholarships (1944) to the extent of two hundred dollars in each recognized College of Pharmacy in the American Association of Colleges Pharmacy, and that a check for four hundred dollars had been received.
The school, each year since, has received the same amount which has been administered according to the specifications as set up by the Foundation. As a result of this generous action on the part of the Foundation, many students have received the necessary financial assistance to aid them in obtaining their education.
The deep interest on the part of the school in pharmaceutical affairs generally is evidenced by the fact that at the 1944 annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association The College of Pharmacy supplied two speakers: Dr. Edward P. Claus spoke on "Pharmacy's Place in the Victory Garden," and Dr. Clarence T. Van Meter on "The Distribution of Vitamins by the Pharmacist."
In July 1944, Dr. Edward P. Claus requested a leave of absence to teach at the University of Puerto Rico. Dr. Claus felt that this would offer him valuable experience for future teaching.
The loss of faculty members to industry and other activities brought about a condition that required more teaching assistance, even though the total enrollment reported on July 11, 1944, was only forty-one, sixteen of whom were freshmen.
In this situation Acting Dean Reif received the wholehearted cooperation of the College, of the University, and of the Mellon Institution of Industrial Research who supplied teaching personnel. As a result of this arrangement such courses as organic chemistry, qualitative and quantitative analysis, and biology were added to those courses that were already being taught by the College of the University.
The committee on finance and faculty presented the following recommendations to the Board of Directors at a meeting held May 1, 1945:
First: The committee recommends that Dr. C. Leonard O'Connell be made Emeritus Dean to take effect at the end of the school year, May 31, 1945.
Second: That Dr. Edward C. Reif be elected Dean.
Third: That Dean Reif is hereby authorized to engage such new members of the faculty as may be deemed necessary.
Fourth: That Dr. Stephen Wilson and Dr. Frank S. McGinnis each be advanced in rank to Professor of Pharmacy.
Chairman Thompson moved the adoption of these recommendations, which were seconded and carried.
The first marked increase in the student enrollment occurred in September 1945, after the close of World War II. Fifty per cent of the entering class were veterans. Following this session, for approximately the next five years, all classes were filled to capacity. A large majority of the classes during this period were veterans who enrolled as freshmen or who had returned to school to complete their education.
In order to accommodate this number of students, a new laboratory was equipped, new apparatus was purchased, and a new signal system was installed, all the wiring was renovated, and many other facilities were improved to insure a sound educational program.
Dean Reif reported that at a meeting of the four deans of the schools of pharmacy of Pennsylvania and the members of the State Board of Pharmacy held in Harrisburg it was decided to admit a freshman class in February 1946, provided that this class be given the opportunity to complete both semesters of the Freshman course by September. This class was to be merged with the sophomore class in September 1946. It was understood that thereafter there would be no more than one freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior class.
With the increase in the number of teachers from the campus teaching courses to our students, Dean Edward C. Reif believed that a dinner meeting should be held so that these persons could become better acquainted with the members of the Pharmacy faculty. He subsequently gave a dinner at the faculty club which was attended by the teachers from both schools. This event gave the faculty and administration an opportunity to become better acquainted with each other and to discuss their mutual problems.
After a conference of Dean Reif with Miss Eleanor P. Kelly, regarding the immediate needs of The College of Pharmacy and the and the field of pharmacy, the George A. Kelly Co., through their president, Miss Eleanor P. Kelly, gave a gift in the amount of ten thousand dollars to the College to be used for graduate scholarships and designating that the gift be known as the "George A. Kelly (Sr.) Scholarship Fund." Another gift was received the next year, with the stipulation that it be used for the purchase of apparatus and books that would be needed for the education of graduate students. The College has been fortunate in receiving additional gifts from Miss Kelly on behalf of the George A. Kelly Co. These gifts have been of inestimable value in the promotion of courses of study at the graduate level, which have as the prime objective the training of teachers for the field of pharmacy.
Recognizing the need for assistance during the transition from a war to a peacetime program, the College received a contribution in the amount of $250 from the Walgreen Drug Stores. The following is an excerpt from the letter received from the Company, which was signed by Mr. A. L. Starshak, Vice President, "It is our desire to be of assistance to you at this time, when the transition from war to a peacetime educational program is apt to mean additional problems." A second gift was received from this company which was used to bind books and magazines, thus improving the library facilities.
When the decision was made to hold the American Pharmaceutical Association Convention in Pittsburgh, to meet in August 1946, Dr. Stephen Wilson was made local secretary and Drs. George D. Beal, Edward C. Reif, and Hugh Muldoon were appointed as the executive committee. All members of the staff actively participated in making the convention a huge success. Dean Reif reported that he entertained at the University in one day fourteen visitors from different parts of the United States. This meeting was one of the largest held, and Pittsburgh was given many compliments on her cordiality and the manner in which the visitors had been received and entertained.
Shortly hereafter, the Galen Pharmaceutical Society presented to The College of Pharmacy a bronze plaque as a memorial to honor students and alumni who made the supreme sacrifice for their country in World War II. They are: Perry Bowser, (1941), Elmer Deiss, (ex 1941), Robert Reitz, (ex 1942), William Slovick, (1932), and John D. Grobe, (ex 1943). This plaque, which hangs in the office of the Pharmacy School, is known as the Perry Frank Bowser Memorial Plaque. The dedication and unveiling services were held at the 1947. Miss Barbara Bowser, Perry's sister, unveiled the memorial at Stephen Collins Foster Memorial Hall, Tuesday evening, January 14, a sad but impressive service.
After a careful study, there was an apparent need in all the areas of pharmacy for more highly qualified individuals and with an increase in the number of applicants, the faculty felt that the entrance requirements for all new applicants should be raised. At a meeting held on April 27, 1946, they recommended that beginning with the fall semester of the 1947-48 session all applicants who were not in the two upper quintiles of their secondary school classes be required to take an entrance examination. This recommendation was subsequently approved by the Board of Directors on June 4, 1946. The adoption of this recommendation was one method used to raise standards at the school.
Up to this time it was the custom of many of the schools and colleges of pharmacy and of the undergraduate schools of the University to give grades in letters and quality points. However, in The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy the grades were recorded numerically. Now the faculty of The College of Pharmacy, after deliberate study, recommended that this method be abolished and the following grading system be established for all classes, starting with the fall semester of the 1946-47 session. This recommendation was approved by the Board of Directors.
|A - 90-100||3||Indicates superior attainment|
|B - 80-90||2||Indicates attainment above the average|
|C - 70-79||1||Liberal Arts Courses - indicates average attainment|
|D - 60-69||0||Liberal Arts Courses-lowest passing grade|
|G (with accompanying letter symbol)||Indicates incomplete work|
|W (with accompanying letter symbol)||Indicates withdrawal from course|
Each credit of work carried is awarded quality points which are computed according to the following schedule: Each credit of A grade is multiplied by 3, B grade by 2, C grade by 1, D grade by 0, and F by -1 until removed by a passing grade.
Freshman and Sophomore Years a minimum of one (1) quality point must be attained in each course.
Junior Year an average of 1.25 quality points must be attained.
Senior Year-an average of 1.5 quality points must be attained.
An average of one (1) quality point must be attained.
Requirements for Graduation:
The requirement for graduation is 137 credits with a quality point average of 1.0 for the Freshman and Sophomore years, a quality point average of 1.25 for the Junior Year and a quality point average of 1.5 for the Senior Year. The faculty reserves the right to ask any student to withdraw who does not maintain the quality point average for each year.
The institution of a quality point average was the second step forward in scholastic standards in a comparatively short time.
Miss Katharine K. Frisbie, who was appointed in 1941, was the first trained librarian to be employed for full-time work. Previously, the University had assisted us in getting our library catalogued. Miss Frisbie worked hard to place everything in good condition for use of the faculty and student body. She remained at the school until industry offered her a more lucrative position, when she was replaced by an acting librarian, Miss Nelda Reif. In 1947, Miss Jean Hutchman came to the school and officiated in the capacity of librarian until September 1951, when she was replaced by Miss Dorothy Nuttall, a graduate of Carnegie Institute of Technology and of the Carnegie Library School, and who was in charge until October 15, 1956.
In 1958 the library was integrated with the Medical, Dental and Nursing libraries under the competent direction of Carroll F. Reynolds, PH.D. The library is known as the Maurice and Laura Fall: Library of the Health Professions and is located in the Health Professions Building.
In 1946 two student assistantships in hospital pharmacy were established, one at Falk Clinic and one at the Children's Hospital. The students were selected from applicants who had indicated a desire for training in this area.
In the same year, the Galen Pharmaceutical Society of Pittsburgh established an award in the amount of $50, to be granted to a deserving student in the sophomore class.
Interest on the part of the College and its alumni to promote advancement in the several disciplines of pharmacy, either at the local or national level, is shown by the fact that as early as 1942 the hospital pharmacists organized the Western Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists. The alumni of the College of Pharmacy who were elected as officers were Arthur W. Harvey, President, Randal W. Henderson, Vice President, and Frank Stencil, Treasurer. This group is very active and is a branch of the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists which is affiliated with the American Pharmaceutical Association as a separate Section.
Hospital Pharmacy leading to an M. S. degree with a major in hospital pharmacy is now offered.
The College of Pharmacy is one of the institutions approved by the Veterans' Administration for the two year residency program.
The College was pleased to receive, on July 1, 1947, the sum of $1,500 from the Borden Company Foundation for the establishment of an annual scholarship in the amount of $300 each for five years. All senior students in The College of Pharmacy are eligible for the award. It is presented to "that eligible student who has achieved the highest average grade of all other similarly eligible students in all college work preceding their senior year." The recipients to date are as follows:
|Edward S. Hudak (1948)||Carol Jean Grimm and Mary Louise Jacquart (1954)|
|Stephen Kulik (1949)|
|William Gerdes and Shirley Sussman (1950)||William R. Armor and Jean A. Clauser (1955)|
|Fred Galysh (1951)||Doris J. Fleet (1956)|
|Raymond Dessy (1952)||Robert P. Halliday (1957)|
|Donald Paul Vrabec (1953)||James G. Pruckner and Glenda Massena (1958)|
Additional contributions were made in 1951 and 1956, by the Borden Company Foundation in the amount of $1,500 each to insure the granting of these awards for another period of years.
It is a pleasure to note that six of the recipients are currently engaged in or have completed their graduate work and a seventh will begin work at this level upon completion of his undergraduate course.
In order to conform more closely to the tuition and laboratory charges of the University, the Board of Directors decided to make a change in tuition and laboratory fees. The charges approved were $10 per credit for each course taken and a charge of $7.50 for each laboratory per semester.